Criss Angel facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Angel in December 2011
December 19, 1967
|Occupation||Illusionist, stunstman, musician|
|Spouse(s)||JoAnna Sarantakos (2002–2007)|
Criss Angel (born Christopher N. Sarantakos on December 19 1968 in East Meadow, New York) is a musician, magician, illusionist, escapologist, stunt performer, and the creator and director of the Criss Angel Mindfreak television series on A&E Network.
Criss Angel was in an industrial band called Angeldust, which he started with Klay Scott (now known as Klayton of Celldweller) after Klayton's previous band Circle of Dust broke up. Angeldust released an album called Magical Conjurings from the World of Illusion in 1998 and performed in Madison Square Garden. He has since dropped the name Angeldust and released several more CDs as Criss Angel.
Career as an illusionist
Angel has been doing his Mindfreak performances since 2001; his television show debuted on July 20 2005. Yet, his skills showcased on TV were developed through stage magic and conjuring in clubs. He also did a television special in 2003 called Supernatural. His brothers and mother are also regulars on the Mindfreak television series.
Among the stunts Angel has performed for television audiences are being towed 80 feet into the air while handcuffed inside a barrel filled with water, then releasing the barrel after Angel had taken off the handcuffs and tied himself to a safety rope; and laying on top of a bed of nails and having a Hummer drive on top of him, levitating himself and strangers off the street, also being hung from fish hooks into his back while being dangled from a helicopter. People who are not professional magicians are strongly discouraged from performing these stunts.
- Angel said on his television show that he considers another well-known magician, Lance Burton, to be a good friend.
- Angel is very private about his personal life. While several sources, such as Forbes Magazine and others, have confirmed his birth name to be Christopher Sarantakos, Angel's exact birth date remains undisclosed. Angel prefers to list his birth date as merely "December 19", omitting his birth year. The Internet Movie Database and other websites list his birth year as 1968.
All of these albums were self-released under Apitrag Records.
- Musical Conjurings from the World of Illusion (1998, as Angeldust)
- System 1 in the Trilogy (2000, has the same tracks as Musical Conjurings from the World of Illusion)
- System 2 in the Trilogy (2000)
- System 3 in the Trilogy (2000)
- Mindfreak (2002; intended as a soundtrack for his Mindfreak show)
Images for kids
Criss Angel Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.