Cumberland Council, New South Wales facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsCumberland Council
New South Wales
|Population||219,312 (2015) (15th)|
|• Density||3,046/km2 (7,890/sq mi)|
|Established||12 May 2016|
|Area||72 km2 (27.8 sq mi)|
|Administrator||Viv May PSM|
|Region||Greater Western Sydney|
The Cumberland Council is a local government area located in the western suburbs of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The Council was formed on 12 May 2016 from the merger of parts of the Auburn City, the former Parramatta City, and Holroyd City councils.
The Council comprises an area of 72 square kilometres (28 sq mi) and at the time of its establishment had an estimated population of 219,147.
The Administrator of the Cumberland Council is Viv May PSM, until the elections for councillors to take place on 9 September 2017.
The first Special Meeting of Cumberland Council was held on 19 May 2016, at the Granville Town Hall, with subsequent Council meetings alternated between the Merrylands Administration Building and Auburn Civic Centre.
Suburbs and localities in the local government area
Suburbs in the Cumberland Council area are:
- Chester Hill (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council)
- Fairfield (shared with City of Fairfield)
- Granville (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Guildford West
- Holroyd (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Homebush West (shared with Municipality of Strathfield)
- Lidcombe (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Mays Hill (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Merrylands (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Merrylands West
- Pendle Hill (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Prospect (shared with City of Blacktown)
- Regents Park (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council)
- Smithfield (shared with City of Fairfield)
- South Granville
- South Wentworthville
- Toongabbie (shared with the City of Blacktown and City of Parramatta Council)
- Wentworthville (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Westmead (shared with City of Parramatta Council)
- Yennora (shared with the City of Fairfield)
There are eight libraries located throughout the local government area, including:
- Regents Park
Cumberland Council, New South Wales Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.