Jonesboro, Louisiana facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Town of Jonesboro|
Jonesboro City Hall
Location of Jonesboro in Jackson Parish, Louisiana
|Lua error in Module:Location_map at line 412: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|• Total||4.90 sq mi (12.70 km2)|
|• Land||4.85 sq mi (12.55 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0.15 km2)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||922.84/sq mi (356.33/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Jonesboro is located at United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.9 square miles (13 km2), of which 4.8 square miles (12 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.82%) is water.(32.239611, -92.711501). According to the
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Jonesboro has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,914 people, 1,602 households, and 1,012 families residing in the town. The population density was 806.6 people per square mile (311.6/km2). There were 1,852 housing units at an average density of 381.7 per square mile (147.4/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 54.01% White, 45.02% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.03% from other races, and 0.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.43% of the population.
There were 1,602 households, out of which 29.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.3% were married couples living together, 21.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 34.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 24.8% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 23.9% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 81.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $19,734, and the median income for a family was $28,048. Males had a median income of $29,071 versus $18,143 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,869. About 28.7% of families and 32.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.2% of those under age 18 and 16.1% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
Jonesboro also has a "Sunshine Festival" with antique cars and tractors, food,and games.
The Jackson Parish School Board oversees the public school system within Jonesboro from a parish-level.
Zoned schools include:
- Jonesboro-Hodge Elementary School
- Jonesboro-Hodge Middle School
- Jonesboro-Hodge High School
The town is also home to the Louisiana Delta Community College Jonesboro campus, which offers courses in welding, business administration, and various general requirement courses.
U.S. Highway 167 passes by Jackson, which is located twenty-four miles south of Ruston. SR 4 joins Highway 167 at Jonesboro, which is in the southwestern portion of Jackson Parish.
- Rodney Alexander, Republican former U.S. Representative and secretary of the Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs in Baton Rouge
- Marty Booker, NFL wide receiver
- Marvin T. Culpepper, member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from Jackson Parish from 1964 to 1968
- James Houston "Jimmie" Davis, who is buried here, was a Louisiana governor, actors in the 1940s and 1950s, and writer of the song "You Are My Sunshine".
- John Garlington, American football linebacker in the National Football League, played with the Cleveland Browns
- Frederick Douglass Kirkpatrick, singer-songwriter, ordained minister, civil rights activist and co-founder of Deacons for Defense and Justice here in November 1964; he recorded three albums for Smithsonian Folkway Recordings (1968-1978)
- Randy Moffett, president of the University of Louisiana System from 2008 to 2012, was born in Jonesboro in 1947.
- James P. Pope, former U.S. Senator from Idaho and former mayor of Boise.
- Jerry Robinson, NFL kick returner, born in Jonesboro, played professional football for the San Diego Chargers/NYJets, 1962-1965
Jonesboro, Louisiana Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.