Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party facts for kids
The Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL) is a major political party in the U.S. state of Minnesota. It was created on April 15, 1944 when the Minnesota Democratic Party and the Farmer–Labor Party merged. Hubert Humphrey was a major part in this merger. The party is affiliated with the national Democratic Party. Both members of the party and non-members in Minnesota often use "DFLer" instead of "Democrat".
Candidates endorsed in 2010
- Margaret Anderson Kelliher for Minnesota Governor
- Dan Powers for US Representative (2nd District )
- Jim Meffert for US Representative (3rd District )
- Tarryl Clark for US Representative (6th District )
- Mark Ritchie for Minnesota Secretary of State
- Rebecca Otto for Minnesota State Auditor
- Lori Swanson for Minnesota Attorney General
- Tim Walz for US Representative (1st District )
- Betty McCollum for US Representative (4th District )
- Keith Ellison for US Representative (5th District )
- Collin Peterson for US Representative (7th District )
- Jim Oberstar for US Representative (8th District )
Current elected officials
- Attorney General Lori Swanson
- Auditor Rebecca Otto
- Secretary of State Mark Ritchie
State legislative leaders
- President of the Senate James Metzen
- Speaker of the Minnesota House of Representatives Margaret Anderson Kelliher
- Minnesota Senate Majority Leader Larry Pogemiller
- Minnesota Senate Asst. Majority Leader Tarryl Clark
- Minnesota House of Representatives Majority Leader Tony Sertich
Members of Congress
- Senator Amy Klobuchar
- Senator Tina Smith
- U.S. Representative (1st District ) – Tim Walz
- U.S. Representative (4th District ) – Betty McCollum
- U.S. Representative (5th District ) – Keith Ellison
- U.S. Representative (7th District ) – Collin Peterson
- U.S. Representative (8th District ) – Jim Oberstar
- Chair – Brian Melendez
- Associate Chair – Donna Cassutt
- Treasurer – Lori Sellner
- Secretary – Sue Rego
- Affirmative Action Officer – Frank Brown
- Delton, Jennifer A. Making Minnesota Liberal: Civil Rights and the Transformation of the Democratic Party. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2002.
- Haynes, John Earl. Farm Coops and the Election of Hubert Humphrey to the Senate. Agricultural History 57, no. 2 (Fall 1983).
- Haynes, John Earl. Dubious Alliance: The Making of Minnesota's DFL Party. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1984.
- Henrickson, Gary P. Minnesota in the 'McCarthy' Period": 1946–1954. Ph.D. diss. University of Minnesota, 1981.
- Lebedoff, David. The 21st Ballot: A Political Party Struggle in Minnesota. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1969.
- Lebedoff, David. Ward Number Six. New York: Scribner, 1972. Discusses the entry of radicals into the DFL party in 1968.
- Mitau, G. Theodore. The Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party Schism of 1948. Minnesota History 34 (Spring 1955).
Images for kids
Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.