Nacogdoches County, Texas facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
The Nacogdoches County Courthouse
Location within the U.S. state of Texas
Texas's location within the U.S.
|• Total||981 sq mi (2,540 km2)|
|• Land||947 sq mi (2,450 km2)|
|• Water||35 sq mi (90 km2) 3.5%|
|• Density||65.91/sq mi (25.446/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Nacogdoches County ( NAK-ə-DOH-chiss) is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 64,653. Its county seat is Nacogdoches.
The Nacogdoches, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area includes all of Nacogdoches County.
Nacogdoches hosts the Blueberry Festival in June. The county is the top blueberry producer in Texas and is headquarters for the Texas Blueberry Marketing Association. It recently tagged itself as the "Capital of the Texas Forest Country".
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 981 square miles (2,540 km2), of which 947 square miles (2,450 km2) is land and 35 square miles (91 km2) (3.5%) is water.
- Rusk County (north)
- Shelby County (northeast)
- San Augustine County (southeast)
- Angelina County (south)
- Cherokee County (west)
National protected area
- Angelina National Forest (part)
|U.S. Decennial Census
1850–2010 2010 2020
|Race / Ethnicity||Pop 2010||Pop 2020||% 2010||% 2020|
|White alone (NH)||39,699||37,158||61.53%||57.47%|
|Black or African American alone (NH)||11,573||10,567||17.94%||16.34%|
|Native American or Alaska Native alone (NH)||230||191||0.36%||0.30%|
|Asian alone (NH)||775||760||1.20%||1.18%|
|Pacific Islander alone (NH)||15||10||0.02%||0.02%|
|Some Other Race alone (NH)||54||190||0.08%||0.29%|
|Mixed Race/Multi-Racial (NH)||822||2,180||1.27%||3.37%|
|Hispanic or Latino (any race)||11,356||13,597||17.60%||21.03%|
Note: the US Census treats Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic category. This table excludes Latinos from the racial categories and assigns them to a separate category. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race.
Greyhound Lines operates the Nacogdoches Station at the Kerrville Bus Company station in Nacogdoches.
- U.S. Highway 59
- U.S. Highway 259
- State Highway 7
- State Highway 21
- State Highway 103
- State Highway 204
- Farm to Market Road 95
- Farm to Market Road 225
- Farm to Market Road 226
- Nacogdoches (county seat & largest city)
- Central Heights
- Central Heights Independent School District
- Chireno Independent School District
- Cushing Independent School District
- Douglass Independent School District
- Etoile Independent School District
- Garrison Independent School District
- Martinsville Independent School District
- Nacogdoches Independent School District
- Woden Independent School District
The county is in the district for Angelina College.
- Clint Dempsey, professional soccer player
- John H. Hannah Jr. - U.S. District Court judge
- Ron Raines, actor
- In Spanish: Condado de Nacogdoches