National Public Radio facts for kids
National Public Radio (NPR) is a free media organization. It is a nation syndicator to 797 public radio stations in the United States. It began in 1970. This was after the Public Broadcasting Act was passed in 1967. This act was signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson. NPR produces and spreads news and cultural programming. Most public radio stations broadcast some NPR programs. NPR is very popular. In 2005, NPR was voted the most trusted news source in the U.S.
NPR makes a five-minute newscast that plays at the top of every hour. During some shows, it has a shorter newscast that plays at the bottom of some hours.
- Morning Edition, NPR's big morning news show
- Weekend Edition, the weekend version of Morning Edition
- All Things Considered, NPR's big afternoon news show
- Weekend All Things Considered
- Talk of the Nation, NPR's news call-in show
- Science Friday, the Friday Talk of the Nation, which is all about science
- Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, a weekend news quiz show
- All Songs Considered, a music podcast
- Thistle and Shamrock, a Celtic music show
The following shows are produced by other people and distributed by NPR
- Car Talk, a weekly call-in show about auto repair
- Fresh Air, a talk show featuring interviews with celebrities and entertainment reviews
- Latino USA, a weekly half-hour show about Latino issues
- On the Media, a weekly show about journalism, the Internet and free speech
NPR and the Gettysburg Address
William R. Rathvon is the only known eyewitness of the Gettysburg Address to have left an audio recording of what he remembered. One year before he died in 1939, Rathvon's remarks were recorded on February 12, 1938. It included his reading the address itself. The title of the record was "I Heard Lincoln That Day - William R. Rathvon, TR Productions". NPR found a copy during a "Quest for Sound" project in 1999. NPR allows people to hear the record around Lincoln's birthday.
Images for kids
In Spanish: NPR para niños
National Public Radio Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.