Sean Connery facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Connery attending the 2008 Edinburgh International Film Festival
Thomas Sean Connery
25 August 1930
|Years active||1954–2003, 2012|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Family||Neil Connery (brother)|
Sir Thomas Sean Connery (25 August 1930 – 31 October 2020) was a Scottish actor. He was known for his charm and good looks, which have made him very famous. He was best known for playing James Bond in seven of the James Bond movies.
He appeared in 94 movies. He won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Jimmy Malone in The Untouchables (1987).
Connery died on 31 October 2020, aged 90.
Interesting facts about Sean Connery
- His first job was as a milkman in Edinburgh. Oddly enough, he delivered milk to Fettes School - the same school that James Bond attended in the books.
- He also worked as a bricklayer and coffin polisher before becoming an actor.
- In his younger years he used to be a bodybuilder and even placed third in the Mr. Universe contest in 1953.
- He was also good at football, and was offered a contract from Manchester United but turned it down, claiming that any sports career is short, but actor's career can be very long.
- Sean attended Scottish dancing classes for 11 years.
- From Russia with Love (1963) was his favorite Bond movie.
- Connery was offered the role of Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings series but turned down the role because he didn't understand the script. Connery also turned down the opportunity to appear as the Architect in The Matrix trilogy for similar reasons.
- Sean was once stopped for speeding. The cop's name turned out to be James Bond.
Connery was born in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. He was born as Thomas Connery, but later added Sean as his stage name which is what most people call him. His mother, Euphemia "Effie" McBain McLean, was a cleaning woman.
In 1946, at the age of 16, Connery joined the Royal Navy. He trained in Portsmouth at the naval gunnery school and in an anti-aircraft crew. He was discharged from the navy three years later due to an ulcer.
Connery had been in smaller theatre and television productions. He became well known when he became the first actor to play James Bond. Connery was the tallest actor to play James Bond to this day. He later went on to star on Marnie (1964), Murder on the Orient Express (1974), The Man Who Would Be King (1975), A Bridge Too Far (1977), Highlander (1986), The Untouchables (1988), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), The Hunt for Red October (1990), Dragonheart (1996), The Rock (1996), and Finding Forrester (2000). Connery retired from acting in 2006.
During his career, he won one Academy Award, two BAFTA Awards (one being a BAFTA Academy Fellowship Award), and three Golden Globes. He received a lifetime achievement award in the US with a Kennedy Center Honor in 1999. Connery was knighted in 2000.
Connery was married to Diane Cilento from 1962 until they divorced in 1973. They had a son, actor Jason Connery. Sean Connery married Micheline Roquebrune in 1975.
In 1993, news that Connery was undergoing radiation treatment for an undisclosed throat ailment sparked media reports that the actor was suffering from throat cancer following years of heavy smoking. He was falsely declared dead by the Japanese and South African news agencies. In 2008, he chipped a bone in his shoulder after falling while playing golf. In October 2009, he told Wine Spectator magazine that he has been diagnosed with a heart condition.
- Dr. No (1962)
- From Russia with Love (1963)
- Goldfinger (1964)
- Thunderball (1965)
- You Only Live Twice (1967)
- Diamonds are forever (1971)
- Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
- Never Say Never Again (1983)
- The Name of the Rose (1986)
- Highlander (1986)
- The Untouchables (1987)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- The Hunt for Red October (1990)
- First Knight (1995)
- Dragonheart (1996)
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
Images for kids
Connery in Amsterdam during filming for Diamonds Are Forever in 1971
Sean Connery plaque near the site of his birth in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh
Connery's hands and footprints at Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Hollywood
Audrey Hepburn and Connery in Robin and Marian (1976)
Connery's former wife Diane Cilento, 1954
Connery in 2004 at a Tartan Day celebration in Washington D.C.
Sean Connery Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.