St. Francisville, Louisiana facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Town of St. Francisville|
One of several former plantation houses near St. Francisville
Location of St. Francisville in West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana.
Location of Louisiana in the United States
|• Total||1.84 sq mi (4.76 km2)|
|• Land||1.82 sq mi (4.71 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||115 ft (35 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||892.86/sq mi (344.80/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
St. Francisville is a town in, and the parish seat of, West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 1,765 at the 2010 U.S. census, and 1,589 at the 2020 population estimates program. It is part of the Baton Rouge metropolitan statistical area.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The 2020 population estimates program determined 1,589 people lived in the town. The racial and ethnic makeup of the town was 71.0% White, 27.0% Black and African American, 0.6% some other race, and 1.4% two or more races at the 2019 American Community Survey. The median household income was $53,864 and 14.8% of the population lived at or below the poverty line.
At the 2000 United States census, there were 1,712 people, 693 households, and 456 families residing in the town. The population density was 936.9 people per square mile (361.2/km2). There were 783 housing units at an average density of 428.5 per square mile (165.2/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 71.03% White, 27.22% African American, 0.29% Native American, 0.53% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 0.88% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.93% of the population.
There were 693 households, out of which 34.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.6% were married couples living together, 17.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.1% were non-families. 30.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 27.3% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 29.2% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $42,262, and the median income for a family was $54,333. Males had a median income of $41,563 versus $25,083 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,639. About 5.8% of families and 8.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.2% of those under the age of 18 and 12.4% of those 65 and older.
West Feliciana Parish Public Schools serves the city. All of the public schools in the parish are located in unincorporated areas.
- West Feliciana High School West Feliciana High School - Welcome
- West Feliciana Middle School
- 2nd Grade-5th Grade: Bains Elementary School
- Preschool-1st Grade: Bains Lower Elementary
Julius Freyhan High School, the first public school in St. Francisville, was named after Jewish businessman Julius Freyhan. After his 1904 death, Freyhan bequeathed $8,000 (about $189096.30 in today's currency) to have it built.) Freyhan High was built in 1907. The school was later rebuilt and renamed after him and it served the community until the early 1950s. As of 2013 it is being restored to serve as a community center and a museum.
The West Feliciana Parish Library is located in St. Francisville. In 1996 the library moved into its current facility, a former U.S. post office at 11865 Ferdinand Street. The library, previously a part of the Audubon Regional Library System, became independent in January 2004.
West Feliciana Parish is in the service area of Baton Rouge Community College.
Sports and recreation
West Feliciana Sports Park, part of West Feliciana Parish Parks and Recreation, is a 250-acre area that offers baseball, basketball, cross country, soccer, softball and tennis. The facility also has a rodeo area, walking paths, hiking paths and bike paths. The park hosts the home course for the Southern Jaguars and Lady Jaguars cross country teams.
- Hattie Moseley Austin, born Hattie Gray in St. Francisville in 1900, founder of Hattie's Chicken Shack in Saratoga Springs, New York.
- Robert H. Barrow, 27th Commandant of the Marine Corps
- Chris Broadwater, current District 86 state representative, was born in St. Francisville in 1972.
- Billy Cannon, Heisman Trophy winner for LSU football and a dentist in St. Francisville
- Gil Dozier, former state commissioner of the Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry; practiced law in St. Francisville prior to 2011.
- Rod Dreher, author and journalist
- Cheston Folkes, state representative from West Feliciana Parish, 1908–1920, 1924–1932, and 1936–1940
- Warren Davis Folkes, member of both houses of the state legislator from West Feliciana Parish, 1944–1976; St. Francisville native and farmer
- Kenny Havard, current District 62 state representative from East and West Feliciana parishes and for part of East Baton Rouge Parish
- Samuel Lawrason, state senator who authored the Lawrason Act regarding municipal government; practiced law in St. Francisville from 1875 until his death.
- William Walter Leake, Confederate Army officer, state senator, circuit court judge
- Sam A. LeBlanc, III, lawyer and politician, retired to St. Francisville c. 2006
- Tom McVea, state representative, 1980–1984 and 2000–2012
- John Rarick, former state district judge and U.S. Representative; lived most of his adult life in St. Francisville.
- Albert Voorhies, 10th Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana and former Louisiana Supreme Court Justice, was born in St. Francisville in 1829.
- Hayley Arceneaux, SpaceX Inspiration4 astronaut
Images for kids
St. Francisville, Louisiana Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.