Stans facts for kids
View of Stans
|• Total||11.09 km2 (4.28 sq mi)|
|Elevation||452 m (1,483 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015 )|
|• Density||746.3/km2 (1,933.0/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Buochs, Dallenwil, Ennetbürgen, Ennetmoos, Oberdorf, Stansstad|
Stans was first noted in 1172. In 1798, it was attacked by French troops, followed the decision of Nidwalden not to adapt a new constitution. Children whose parents were killed by this event were gathered by the teacher Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi for his first school. The open-air assembly (Landsgemeinde) was held in Stans each year until 1997.
The main sights of Stans are:
- The Stanserhorn (1900m) mountain and tourist resort
- The Stanserhornbahn: A cable car which takes people from the base of the mountain to the hotel at the top. It was first built in 1893.
- The main square (Dorfplatz)
- Saint Peter and Paul church: built from 1641 to 1647 with a Romanesque tower
- The Saint Klara monastery
- A monument for the local hero Arnold von Winkelried and his birth place (Winkelriedhaus).
Images for kids
Stans Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.