The Sunny Side Up Show facts for kids
The Sunny Side Up Show logo (2007–2013)
|Premiered||September 26, 2007|
|Closed||August 11, 2017|
|Channel||Sprout (9:00 am–12:00 pm)|
|Format||480i (SDTV) (2007–2013) (seasons 1-6)
1080i (HDTV) (2013–2017) (seasons 7-10)
Sunny Side Up (previously known as The Sunny Side Up Show) is a defunct television programming block which premiered on Sprout on September 26, 2007 and ended on August 11, 2017. Each week, a new theme was introduced, including food, Halloween, animals, construction, fall, opposites, and birthdays. Sunny Side Up aired at 9:00 AM Eastern/8:00 AM Central until 12:00 PM Eastern/11:00 AM Central each weekday morning. The hosts of Sunny Side Up played games, sang songs, told stories, and showed birthday cards or artwork.
Sunny Side Up was Sprout's morning program. It was produced live every weekday, and hosted by a human host along with Chica, a chicken puppet who later got her own show. Before moving to a "city apartment" set, the show took place on a set dubbed The Sunshine Barn and decorated with farm-themed objects. The hosts were Carly and Tim. Each hosted the show for one week with each week's host being announced late in the previous week. Each week's host introduced programs, read birthdays, led activities related to the week's theme, and read messages sent in by individual "Sproutlet" viewers through the Sprout website. There were daily activities such as "The Good Egg Awards" (renamed "The Kindness Kid Awards") celebrating viewers' accomplishments, and "Sproutlet Stories" allowed "Sproutlets" to tell different stories with different plots, characters, and settings.
The theme tune from 2007 to 2015 was Hello, Hello, but from 2015 to 2017 it was Chica's Here.
The block starts with the host and Chica greeting the viewers, and explaining the date and weather, and the day's theme.
The next segment involves birthday cards and wishes. Mr. Mailman, a mailman puppet, would send the cards to the Sunshine Barn.
The next segment involves a different song or dance each day.
The next segment involves the hosts making a craft or cooking a recipe. Based on the app “Dress Chica”, during a show that comes on at 10:00 am, the hosts would demonstrate the viewers’ idea of Chica's disguise.
The “Good Egg Awards” we’re introduced in 2009, and the hosts would read different awards given to viewers online.
Next, the hosts would do a dance titled the Barnyard Boogie. In 2013, the segment was replaced with a new segment titled Sproutlet Stories, where viewers online could make up three different stories: a pirate adventure, a royal adventure, and a space adventure.
Also, in 2014, a new penultimate segment was added, titled Chica's Choice, where a five-inch spinning wheel would be spun to direct everyone to do something fun.
The next segment involves sharing the remainder birthday cards and wishes.
In 2011, after the show What's Your News?, the hosts would host the Sproutlet News Report, where viewers could share what they did and how they showed care for each other, with amazing voicemails. In 2014, an animated Chica visited the characters from the show Astroblast!, which can be found on demand. In 2015, the Sproutlet News Report involves a clip of a CGI-animated Chica visiting the characters from Ruff-Ruff, Tweet and Dave. The hosts would close the block by telling viewers to stay tuned for the Sprout Sharing Show and the Good Night Show.
In September 2015, as part of Sprout's new design, the setting was changed to a city apartment.
The birthday cards and wishes were still going, as well as crafts. Temporarily, the Dress Chica, Chica's Choice, Sproutlet Stories and Sproutlet News Report were removed from the block. In 2017, Chica was removed to make way for the Sprout House block.
- Carly Ciarrocchi was a host for the show from June 4, 2012 to August 11, 2017.
- Tim was portrayed by Grammy award winner Tim Kubart. He was introduced during the 2013 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as he replaced Sean, He hosted the show from December 30, 2013 to August 11, 2017.
- Chica was a chicken puppet who co-hosted Sunny Side Up with Emily, Carly, Tim, and Kaitlin. Before moving to a city apartment, she lived in The Sunshine Barn. She had a voice which resembled a squeaker. Her character had been part of the show from 2007 to 2017. She also made occasional appearances in the Sprout Control Room. Chica was voiced by Forrest Harding.
- Kevin Yamada was an original host of The Sunny Side Up Show. Kevin joined Chica and Kelly as hosts, and the birthday cards and crawl of viewers' names became features of the program at the time. Kevin's last appearance on the show was on December 25, 2009, where he explained his impending departure from the show by telling viewers that he was moving away to the great big city and not playing with Chica in the Sunshine Barn anymore. He played the character of Ricky on the daily Sprout Sharing Show until the show ended on May 11, 2014; his Sunny Side Up hosting duties were assumed by new host Dennisha Pratt on December 31, 2009.
- Liz Filios joined the show on November 1, 2010 and left the show on June 4, 2012 to explore the world. She was replaced by Carly.
- Sean Roach joined Kevin and Kelly as co-host of The Sunny Side Up Show in 2007. His last appearance on the show was December 13, 2013. He left to focus more on his art. He still hosts reruns of Noodle and Doodle. He was replaced by Tim.
- Kelly Vrooman was one of the original two hosts of the show. Her final appearance as a host was on December 20, 2013. She Played Patty From The Sprout Sharing Show, and Also starred in The Chica Show. She rejoined the show only for Thanks for Giving Week 2014. She was replaced by Kaitlin.
- Dennisha Pratt, made her debut on December 31, 2009, replacing Kevin. She rejoined the show on the Mother's Day weekend in 2013 and her last show was June 13, 2014 before she and her family moved away to start some new adventures. She was replaced by Emily.
- Kaitlin Becker. She was introduced during the 2013 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as she replaced Kelly. She began hosting on January 6, 2014 and stopped hosting on May 19, 2017 to move away to Orlando and host Nickelodeon's new game show, Double Dare 2018.
- Emily Borromeo. She joined the show as a host June 23, 2014, replacing Dennisha and left on June 29, 2017 to pursue her Broadway career.
- Mr. Mailman was a cartoon character who used to appear on The Birthday Show and on The Sunny Side Up Show during Birthdays. He also appeared in a short-form series titled The New Adventures of Mr. Mailman.
- Rico was Chica's cousin who made occasional appearances.
The following is a list of television programs from which guest stars originated, and the characters from those programs which appeared on Sunny Side Up:
- Barney and Friends: Barney, Riff
- Sesame Street and The Furchester Hotel: Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Grover, Prairie Dawn, Elmo, Abby Cadabby, Cookie Monster
- The Wiggles: Greg Page, Murray Cook, Anthony Field, Jeff Fatt, Captain Feathersword, Emma Watkins, Lachlan Gillespie, Simon Pryce, Sam Moran
- LazyTown: Sportacus, Stephanie
- Noodle and Doodle: Noodle McNoodle
- Jim Henson's Pajanimals: Squacky, Sweetpea Sue
- Sprout Sharing Show: Patty, Ricky, Curtis E. Owl, Stage Mice
- The Good Night Show: Nina, Star
- The Let's Go Show: Miles
- Bounce: Elizabeth
- Laurie Berkner
- Dan Zanes
- James Tolbert
- Angelica Roque
- Will Collyer
- Justine Huxley
- The Chica Show: Mr. C, Mrs. C, Kelly
- Sprout Control Room: Meeka (also known as Banjo in The Let's Go Show), M'Goats
- Roary the Racing Car
- Fifi and the Flowertots
- Barney & Friends
- Thomas & Friends
- Dive Olly Dive!
- Fireman Sam
- Play with Me Sesame
- What's Your News?
- Tree Fu Tom
- Maya the Bee
- Noodle and Doodle
- The Furchester Hotel
- Sarah & Duck
- Super Wings
- Ruff-Ruff, Tweet and Dave
- Chloe's Closet
- The Chica Show
- Super Why!
- Dragon Tales
- Bob the Builder
- The Berenstain Bears
- Lily's Driftwood Bay
The Sunny Side Up Show Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.