Sesame Street facts for kids
Sesame Street is a children's television series with human actors and puppets that are called Muppets. The show deals with issues such as music, song, alphabet, numbers, and teaching children basics in learning. Part of the profits, go to an international project for children's schools.
The show has been on TV since November 10, 1969. Jim Henson made the Muppets, and a lot of writers and puppeteers worked together to make the show. The Muppets were used afterwards in a different show called The Muppet Show. Sesame Street has been on TV in 120 countries all over the world. More than 4000 episodes have been made over 40 seasons.
In 2015, new episodes started airing on the HBO channel.
- Kermit the Frog is one of the first Muppets designed and built by Jim Henson. Borgenicht calls Kermit "funny, ironic, and always the voice of reason amidst the insanity around him; the calm in the eye of the storm".
- Miss Piggy was a character performed by Frank Oz from 1976 to 2000. She was ranked number 23 on the 50 Greatest TV Stars of All Time by the 1996 TV Guide.
- Big Bird is a very tall yellow bird. His best friend is Snuffleupagus who looks like a mammoth with no tusks.
- Oscar the Grouch lives in a garbage can with his pet worm Slimey and his pet elephant Fluffy. He is always in a bad mood and he loves everything that other people hate: mud, dirt, etc.
- Bert and Ernie are two roommates. Ernie is more active and always ready to play a game or make a mess. Bert is an often boring grouch who likes to read; he likes things to be clean, neat and loves pigeons.
- Cookie Monster is blue and eats large amounts of cookies.
- Elmo is a red furred monster and lives with his goldfish named Dorothy.
There are three new muppets for Sesame Street. One is a girl fairy named Abby Cadabby. Another is Murray, and his lamb named Ovajita. Not only Muppets play in the show but also human actors who live with the Muppets.
Images for kids
Co-creator Joan Ganz Cooney. Pictured 1985
Lloyd Morrisett, co-creator. Pictured 2010
First Lady Barbara Bush participates with Big Bird in an educational taping of Sesame Street at United Studios, 1989
First Lady Michelle Obama participates in a Let's Move! and Sesame Street public service announcement taping with Big Bird in the White House Kitchen, 2013
Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken meets Grover to discuss refugees at the United Nations in New York City, 2016
The Kaufman Astoria Studios, where Sesame Street is taped
Jim Henson, creator of the Muppets, in 1989
|Mary the Jewess|