Tootsie facts for kids
|Directed by||Sydney Pollack|
|Produced by||Sydney Pollack
|Written by||Larry Gelbart
Barry Levinson (uncredited)
Elaine May (uncredited)
from the story by Gelbart and Don McGuire
|Music by||Dave Grusin (also songs)|
|Editing by||Fredric Steinkamp and William Steinkamp|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Release date(s)||December 17, 1982|
|Running time||116 minutes|
In 1998 the United States Library of Congress chose the movie to keep in the National Film Registry.
The theme song to the movie, "It Might Be You", was a Top 40 hit in the U.S., and also hit #1 on the U.S. adult contemporary chart. Stephen Bishop sang the song and the music was by Dave Grusin / Marilyn and Alan Bergman.
- Dustin Hoffman as Michael Dorsey / Dorothy Michaels
- Jessica Lange as Julie Nichols
- Teri Garr as Sandy Lester
- Dabney Coleman as Ron Carlisle
- Charles Durning as Leslie "Les" Nichols
- Bill Murray as Jeff Slater
- Sydney Pollack as George Fields
- George Gaynes as John Van Horn
- Geena Davis as April Page
- Doris Belack as Rita Marshall
- Lynne Thigpen as Jo
- Estelle Getty as Middle Aged Woman
- Michael M. Ryan as Elderly Aged Man
The nominations were:
- Best Picture: Sydney Pollack and Dick Richards
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Dustin Hoffman
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Teri Garr
- Best Director: Sydney Pollack
- Best Original Screenplay: Larry Gelbart, Murray Schisgal and Don McGuire
- Best Original Song ("It Might Be You"): Dave Grusin (music), Alan Bergman (lyrics) and Marilyn Bergman (lyrics)
- Best Sound: Arthur Piantadosi, Les Fresholtz, Dick Alexander and Les Lazarowitz
- Best Cinematography: Owen Roizman
- Best Film Editing: Fredric Steinkamp and William Steinkamp
The movie was number two in the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs list in 2000.
It was nominated for the BAFTA Award for Best Adapted Screenplay.
Tootsie Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.