1059 facts for kids
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1020s 1030s 1040s – 1050s – 1060s 1070s 1080s|
|Years:||1056 1057 1058 – 1059 – 1060 1061 1062|
- January 24 – Pope Nicholas II takes over for Pope Stephen IX as the 155th Pope. He was placed in opposition to Antipope Benedict X.
- August – Robert Guiscard signs the Treaty of Melfi with Pope Nicholas II.
- Anselm settles at the Benedictine monastery of Le Bec in Normandy.
- The Lateran Council makes the College of Cardinals the sole voters in the election of popes.
- Muhammed ben Da'ud, known as Alp Arslan, becomes second sultan of the Seljuk Turks.
- Peter Krešimir IV is crowned King of Croatia and Dalmatia
- Isaac I Comnenus resigns as Byzantine Emperor, appointing Constantine Ducas as his replacement.
- Fulcher of Chartres, chronicler historian of the First Crusade
- August 30 – Peter Urseolo of Hungary
- Michael Cerularius, Patriarch of Constantinople
1059 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.