Year 1063 (MLXIII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar.
- Successful Pisan naval assault upon Muslim-ruled Palermo led by Giovanni Orlandi to support the ambitions of Roger of Hauteville.
- May 8 – The allied Muslim and Christian troops of the king of Castile and the emir of Zaragoza, maybe led by El Cid, defeat the Aragonese army at the battle of Graus. The king of Aragon, Ramiro I, is killed, his son succeeds him.
- The River Thames is frozen for 14 weeks.
- The Pizhi Pagoda of Lingyan Temple, Shandong, China is completed, standing at a height of 54 m (177 ft) tall.
- The construction of present building of St Mark's Basilica is begun.
- Anselm, later to become Archbishop of Canterbury, becomes prior at the Abbey of Bec.
- The Bishopric of Olomouc is founded.
Images for kids
Duke Roger I defeats the Saracens at the Battle of Cerami (near Troina) in Sicily.