1079 facts for kids
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1040s 1050s 1060s – 1070s – 1080s 1090s 1100s|
|Years:||1076 1077 1078 – 1079 – 1080 1081 1082|
- Persian astronomer, Omar Khayyám, determined the length of the year as 365.24219858156 days which has been the most accurate calculation of old times. Khayyam also wrote Demonstrations of Problems in Algebra, produced a complete classification of cubic equations and their geometric answers.
- Murder of Saint Stanislaus of Szczepanów (pol. Stanisław ze Szczepanowa) by Polish King Bolesław II the Bold
- Upon the death of Håkan the Red, Halsten returns as king of Sweden, jointly with his brother Inge the Elder.
- Ladislaus Herman succeeds Boleslaus II in Poland.
- William I of England establishes the New Forest.
- Constance of Burgundy founds a monastery in Burgos.
- August 8 – Emperor Horikawa of Japan (d. 1107)
- Peter Abelard, French scholastic philosopher (d. 1142)
1079 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.