1077 facts for kids
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1040s 1050s 1060s – 1070s – 1080s 1090s 1100s|
|Years:||1074 1075 1076 – 1077 – 1078 1079 1080|
- The Almoravids complete the conquest of the Ghana Empire, and reach Spain.
- The Seljuk Turks capture Nicaea and Jerusalem.
- Suleyman I of Rûm becomes the leader of the Seljuk Sultanate of Rûm in modern Turkey.
- Anush Tigin Gharchai becomes, as a Seljuk vassal, leader of the Khwarezmid Empire.
- January 26 – Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor, visits Pope Gregory VII as a penitent, asking him remove sentence of excommunication.
- January 28 – Walk to Canossa: The excommunication of Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor is lifted.
- April 3
- The first Parliament of Friuli is created.
- Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor granted the county of Friuli, with ducal status, to Sigaerd, Patriarch of Aquileia.
- Robert Curthose starts his first insurrection against his father, William the Conqueror, in Normandy.
- The kingdom of Duklja is founded.
- The first recorded Trial by combat is held in England.
- Vsevolod of Kiev becomes the prince of Kievan Rus'.
- Alfonso VI of Castile conquers Coria.
- Pope Gregory VII places the island of Corsica under the secular rule of the archbishop of Pisa.
- Hugh of Burgundy supports the king of Aragon in his conquest of the castle of Muñones from the emir of Zaragossa.
- The Bayeux Tapestry is made.
- The first English Cluniac Benedictine priory is established, at Lewes.
- Paul of Caen becomes Abbot of St Albans in England; the building of St Albans Abbey Church commences.
- Pope Christodolos of Alexandria ends his reign as Coptic Pope.
- Dionysius V Lazaros becomes Syriac Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch.
- Joseph ibn Migash, rabbi (d. 1141)
- April 25 – Geza I of Hungary
- Agnes de Poitou, wife of Henry III, Holy Roman Emperor and regent (b. 1020)
- King Anawrahta of Burma (b. 1044)
- Abolfazl Beyhaghi, Persian historian and writer (b. 995)
- Shao Yong, Chinese philosopher, cosmologist, poet and historian (b. 1011)
- Zhang Zai, Chinese Neo-Confucian moral philosopher and cosmologist (b. 1020)
1077 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.