1449 facts for kids
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1410s 1420s 1430s – 1440s – 1450s 1460s 1470s|
|Years:||1446 1447 1448 – 1449 – 1450 1451 1452|
Events of 1449
- January 6 – Constantine XI is crowned Byzantine Emperor, at Mistra. He was the last in a line of rulers that can be traced to the founding of Rome.
- April 7 – The last Antipope, Felix V abdicates.
- April 19 – Pope Nicholas V elected by the Council of Basel
- April 25 – The Council of Basel dissolves itself.
- August 13 – Brandenburg Margrave Albrecht Achilles takes the Lichtenau fortress from Nuremberg in the First Margrave War.
- September 8 – Battle of Tumu Fortress – the Oirat Mongols defeat the Ming Dynasty army and capture the Zhengtong Emperor of China; the latter is officially deposed while his brother ascends as the Jingtai Emperor the next year in 1450.
- October 29 – French recapture Rouen from the English
- January 1 – Lorenzo de' Medici, Italian statesman (died 1492)
- October 21 – George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence, brother of Edward IV of England and Richard III of England (died 1478)
- date unknown – Domenico Ghirlandaio, Italian artist (died 1494)
- probable – Ilham Ghali khan of Kazan Khanate, (died 1490)
1449 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.