1448 facts for kids
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1410s 1420s 1430s – 1440s – 1450s 1460s 1470s|
|Years:||1445 1446 1447 – 1448 – 1449 1450 1451|
Events of 1448
- January 5/ 6 – Christopher of Bavaria, King of Denmark, Norway and Sweden dies with no designated heir, leaving all three kingdoms with vacant thrones. Brothers Bengt Jönsson Oxenstierna and Nils Jönsson Oxenstierna are selected to serve as co-regents of Sweden.
- June 20 – The Regency period of Sweden ends with the election of Karl Knutsson Bonde as King Charles VIII of Sweden.
- June 28 – Charles VIII of Sweden is publicly hailed as king at Mora Stones.
- September 28 – Christian of Oldenburg, betrothed to Queen Dowager Dorothea of Brandenburg, becomes King Christian I of Denmark.
- October 17 – Battle of Kosovo – Hungarian forces under John Hunyadi are defeated by the Turks due to the treachery of Prince Dan of Wallachia and George Brankovic of Serbia.
- Queens' College, Cambridge founded by Margaret of Anjou.
- Vatican Library founded by Pope Nicholas V.
- Vlad III the Impaler becomes reigning Prince of Wallachia for two months before being deposed by Vladislav II.
- After a long episode of drought, flood, locust infestation, and famine in Ming Dynasty China since the year 1434, these natural afflicitions finally wane and agriculture and commerce return to a state of normalcy.
- November 4 – King Alphonso II of Naples (died 1495)
- date unknown
1448 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.