201 BC facts for kids
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||4th century BC – 3rd century BC – 2nd century BC|
|Decades:||230s BC 220s BC 210s BC – 200s BC – 190s BC 180s BC 170s BC|
|Years:||204 BC 203 BC 202 BC – 201 BC – 200 BC 199 BC 198 BC|
|201 BC by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Gregorian calendar||201 BC
|Ab urbe condita||553|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
— to —庚子年
|- Vikram Samvat||-144–-143|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2901–2902|
|Iranian calendar||822 BP – 821 BP|
|Islamic calendar||847 BH – 846 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2112 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||343|
Year 201 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar.
- On Hannibal's advice, Carthage asks for peace with the Romans. This ends the Second Punic War. Carthage is made a client state of Rome.
- After peace with Rome, Hannibal is elected as suffet, or chief magistrate, of Carthage. The office was insignificant in Carthaginian politics, but Hannibal makes it powerful.
- The Romans remove the Carthaginians from Malta.
- In Rome, land is given to veterans of the Second Punic War.
- Philip V of Macedon captures Samos and the Egyptian fleet stationed there. He then makes war on Chios to the north.
- Rhodes and its allies Pergamum, Cyzicus, and Byzantium combine their fleets and defeat Philip V in the Battle of Chios. His flagship is trapped and rammed by two enemy ships.
- The Spartan king, Nabis, once more invades and captures Messene. The Spartans leave when the Achaean League army of Philopoemen helps. Nabis' forces are defeated at Tegea by Philopoemen.
- The construction of Nanchang begins.
- Gnaeus Naevius, Latin epic poet and dramatist (b. c. 264 BC)
201 BC Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.