496 BC facts for kids
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||6th century BC – 5th century BC – 4th century BC|
|Decades:||520s BC 510s BC 500s BC – 490s BC – 480s BC 470s BC 460s BC|
|Years:||499 BC 498 BC 497 BC – 496 BC – 495 BC 494 BC 493 BC|
|496 BC by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Gregorian calendar||496 BC
|Ab urbe condita||258|
|Ancient Egypt era||XXVII dynasty, 30|
|- Pharaoh||Darius I of Persia, 26|
|Ancient Greek era||71st Olympiad (victor)¹|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||甲辰年 (Wood Dragon)
2201 or 2141
— to —
乙巳年 (Wood Snake)
2202 or 2142
|Coptic calendar||−779 – −778|
|Ethiopian calendar||−503 – −502|
|- Vikram Samvat||−439 – −438|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2605–2606|
|Iranian calendar||1117 BP – 1116 BP|
|Islamic calendar||1151 BH – 1150 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2407 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||47–48|
−369 or −750 or −1522
— to —
−368 or −749 or −1521
Year 496 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar.
- Hipparchos, son of Charmos wins the archonship of Athens.
- The former Etruscan King of Rome, Tarquinius Superbus, who was exiled by the Romans in 508 BC, and his ally Lars Porsena, the King of Clusium, are defeated by the new Roman Republic army in the Battle of Lake Regillus, near Frascati. This battle begins Roman supremacy over the Latins.
- Carthage and Rome make a treaty.
- King Goujian of Yue defeats King Fuchai of Wu. This made a short peace in ancient China during the Spring and Autumn Period.
- for more information, see Category:496 BC deaths.
- Sun Tzu, military philosopher and author of The Art of War (b. 544 BC)
- King Helü of Wu, king of the Chinese State of Wu
- Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, the exiled last King of Rome
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:496 BC Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.