Baychester, Bronx facts for kids
Missing latitude in Module:Coordinates.formatTest()
Baychester is a working-class neighborhood geographically located in the northeast Bronx borough of New York City in the United States. The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community Board 12. Its boundaries, starting from the north and moving clockwise are: East 222nd Street to the north, the New England Thruway (I-95) to the east, Pelham Parkway to the south, and Boston Road to the west. Eastchester Road is the primary thoroughfare through Baychester. Many homes are located on streets in the 201s and advancing to the 220s. While 10469 is the primary ZIP code of Baychester, it also covers the adjacent neighborhood of Pelham Gardens, Bronx. The area is patrolled by the 47th Precinct of the New York City Police Department, located at 4111 Laconia Avenue in the Williamsbridge section of the Bronx.
Land use and terrain
Baychester is dominated by one and two family homes of various styles. The total land area is 2.61 square miles. The area is low laying and flat; some parts of the East Bronx are built on marshland and valleys. The area was formerly home to the amusement park Freedomland U.S.A., opened in 1959 and closed in 1964.
As of the census of 2000, there were 63,345 people and 23,144 housing units in the neighborhood. The population density was 24,249.08 people per square mile. The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 27.5% White, 57.4% African American, 0.03% Native American, 2.74% Asian, 0.5% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 18.0% of the population.
In the adjacent neighborhood of Co-op City, the population is 38,000 which is sometimes considered a part of Baychester. Baychester was once predominantly white (non-Hispanic), but is now predominantly West Indian.
The median income for a household in the neighborhood was $42,102. About 13.8% of the population were below the poverty line.
- Bx28: to Co-op City or Fordham Center (via Gun Hill Road)
- Bx30: to Co-op City or Norwood – 205th Street (D train) (via Boston/Gun Hill Roads)
- Bx31: to Woodlawn or Westchester Square – East Tremont Avenue (6 <6> trains) (via Eastchester Road)
- BxM10: to Midtown Manhattan (via 5th/Madison Avenues and Eastchester Road/Morris Park Avenue)
- W60: to White Plains, New York or Fordham Center (via Boston Road)
- W61: to Port Chester, Mamaroneck and Larchmont, New York or Fordham Center (via Boston Road)
- W62: to White Plains, New York (Express-Rush Hour Only Service [White Plains in the morning, Fordham in the evening]) or Fordham Center (via Boston Road)
- Baychester Avenue (IRT Dyre Avenue Line) (5 train)
- Gun Hill Road (IRT Dyre Avenue Line) (5 train)
Baychester, Bronx Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.