Caimito, San Juan, Puerto Rico facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Fireworks in Caimito on New Year's Eve 2014
Location of Caimito shown in yellow.
|• Total||5.41 sq mi (14.0 km2)|
|• Land||5.41 sq mi (14.0 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||322 ft (98 m)|
|• Density||4,034.2/sq mi (1,557.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−4 (AST)|
Caimito is one of the 18 barrios of the municipality of San Juan, Puerto Rico located in the mountainous part of the municipality. With a land area of 5.41 square miles (14.0 km2), Caimito is the second largest barrio in the municipality of San Juan, Puerto Rico. In 2010 it had 21,825 inhabitants and a population density of 4,034.2 per sq.mi. Located in the southern part of San Juan, Caimito is bordered by barrios Tortugo and Quebrada Arenas to the west, by Monacillo to the north, by Cupey to the east and by the municipality of Caguas to the south.
Caimito comprises the former barrios of Caimito Alto and Caimito Bajo, which were last documented in the 1899 census. It was part of Rio Piedras until 1951 when it was merged as a barrio of the municipality of San Juan.
|U.S. Decennial Census
1899 (shown as 1900) 1910-1930
1930-1950 1980-2000 2010
The population of Caimito in 2010 was 21,825. Caimito is further divided into the following sectors and neighborhoods: Camino Dr. Colorado, La Cuchilla, Camino Los Ramos, Morcelo, Camino Sánchez Guzmán, Camino Pablo Sánchez, Camino Los Sánchez, Camino Francisco Escribano and Camino El Piloto.
- Eduardo Bonilla-Silva - Sociology professor at Duke University, president of the American Sociological Association.
- Félix Trinidad - Former professional boxer. Although born in Fajardo, Puerto Rico and raised in Cupey, "Tito" Trinidad is also often associated with Caimito, having been trained by Freddy Trinidad at the Gimnasio Municipal de Caimito.
- Rubén Berrios - President of the Puerto Rican Independence Party, professor at the University of Puerto Rico School of Law.
The noted boxing family, the Solis family, hails from Caimito.
- Enrique Solis- Boxer, fought for world title.
- Julian Solís- Boxer, world champion.
- Rafael Solis- Boxer, fought for world title.
- Santos Solis- a professional boxer.
Images for kids
Caimito, San Juan, Puerto Rico Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.