Franklin Parish, Louisiana facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Parish of Franklin|
Franklin Parish Courthouse in Winnsboro
Location within the U.S. state of Louisiana
Louisiana's location within the U.S.
|Named for||Benjamin Franklin|
|• Total||635 sq mi (1,640 km2)|
|• Land||625 sq mi (1,620 km2)|
|• Water||11 sq mi (30 km2) 1.7%|
| • Estimate
|• Density||32.704/sq mi (12.627/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Franklin Parish (French: Paroisse de Franklin) is a parish located in the northeastern part of the U.S. state of Louisiana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 20,767. The parish seat is Winnsboro. The parish was founded in 1843 and named for Benjamin Franklin.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the parish has a total area of 635 square miles (1,640 km2), of which 625 square miles (1,620 km2) is land and 11 square miles (28 km2) (1.7%) is water.
- Richland Parish (north)
- Madison Parish (northeast)
- Tensas Parish (southeast)
- Catahoula Parish (south)
- Caldwell Parish (west)
National protected area
- Tensas River National Wildlife Refuge (part)
|U.S. Decennial Census
|Black or African American (non-Hispanic)||6,508||32.91%|
|Hispanic or Latino||276||1.4%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 19,774 people, 7,423 households, and 5,130 families residing in the parish.
921st Engineer Company (Horizontal) part of the 528th Engineer Battalion which belongs to the 225th Engineer Brigade is located in Winnsboro.
- Winnsboro (parish seat)
Franklin Parish School Board operates local public schools. Franklin Parish High School is the sole public high school in the parish.
The superintendent is John Gullatt.
The parish also hosts two private Christian schools, Franklin Academy in Winnsboro, where Phil Jackson and Leigh Jonson are principal and vice-principal, respectively, and Family Community Christian School, of which Elizabeth Rigdon is the principal.
- Ralph E. King, Winnsboro physician who represented Catahoula, Franklin, and Richland parishes in the Louisiana State Senate from 1944 to 1952 and again from 1956 to 1960
- Anthony "Booger" McFarland, Winnsboro native; All-American football player at Louisiana State University; played in National Football League for Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Steve Pylant, former sheriff of Franklin Parish; Republican member of the Louisiana House of Representatives, resides in Franklin Parish near Delhi in Richland Parish.
- Regnal Wallace, Louisiana farm broadcaster of radio and television; originally from Crowville
- James M. Stephens, 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals Judge, former 5th District Chief Judge, inventor and Baskin native.
Franklin Parish, Louisiana Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.