G minor facts for kids
|Relative key||B♭ major|
|Parallel key||G major|
|Notes in this scale|
|G, A, B♭, C, D, E♭, F, G|
G minor is a minor scale based on G.
During the Baroque period, music in G minor was usually written with a one-flat key signature.
Mozart's use of G Minor
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart thought that G minor was the most suitable key for showing sadness and tragedy, and many of his minor key works are in G minor, such as the Piano Quartet No. 1 and the String Quintet in G minor. G minor is the only minor key he used as a main key for his numbered symphonies (No. 25, and the famous No. 40). In the Classical period, symphonies in G minor almost always used four horns, two in G and two in B-flat alto. G minor symphonies like Mozart's No. 25 often used E flat major for the slow movement, including Haydn's No. 39 and Vanhal's G minor symphony from before 1771 (Bryan Gm1).
Famous classical music in G minor
- Fantasia and Fugue in G minor "The Great", BWV 542- Bach
- Symphony No. 83 "The Hen" - Haydn
- Symphony No. 40 - Mozart
- Ballade No. 1 in G minor - Chopin
- Polonaise in G minor - Chopin
- Piano Concerto No. 2 - Saint-Saëns
- Slavonic Dance No. 8 in G minor - Dvořák
- Sicilliene, Op. 78 - Fauré
- Prelude in G Minor - Rachmaninoff
- Sonata for Cello and Piano in G minor - Rachmaninoff
- Most of Verdi's Requiem (the Dies Irae), is in G minor.
- Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 8, RV 315, "Summer" from The Four Seasons - Antonio Vivaldi
- Adagio in G minor - "Albinoni's Adagio", now said to be written by Remo Giazotto
- Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Op. 26 - Max Bruch
- Christmas Concerto - Arcangelo Corelli
See also: List of symphonies in G minor.
There are many variations of G minor.
|G minor 7th||a g minor chord containing G, Bb/A#, D, and F|
|G minor major 7th||a G minor chord with a Major 7th.|
|G minor major||a combination of G minor and G major.|
|G minor 6th||a G minor chord with a Major 6th.|
|G minor 9th||G minor 7th containing A.|
|G minor 2nd||a G minor with Ab or G#.|
|G augmented minor||the augmented version of G minor.|
|G diminished||has C#/Db instead of D.|
|G minor 7th-5||G diminished with minor 7th.|
|G diminished 7th||a G diminished with a major 6th.|
|Diatonic Scales and Keys|
|The table shows the number of sharps or flats in each scale. Minor scales are written in lower case.|
In Spanish: Sol menor para niños
G minor Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.