Guéret facts for kids
|The prefecture of the Creuse department|
|Elevation||350–685 m (1,148–2,247 ft)
(avg. 436 m or 1,430 ft*)
|Land area1||26.21 km2 (10.12 sq mi)|
|- Density||501/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||23096/ 23000|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
In 1790, when the departments were created, Guéret was named as the capital of the Creuse department.
Guéret is in a plateau between the Creuse and the Gartempe rivers, at the foot of two hills: the Puy de Gaudy, 651 m (2,136 ft) high, and the Maupuy, 689 m (2,260 ft) high. The commune has an area of 26.21 km2 (10.12 sq mi), and its average altitude is 436 m (1,430 ft); at the city hall, the altitude is 431 m (1,414 ft).
The communes that are around Guéret are Saint-Fiel, Sainte-Feyre, Savennes, Saint-Christophe, La Chapelle-Taillefert, Saint-Léger-le-Guérétois and Saint-Sulpice-le-Guérétois.
Guéret has an oceanic climate with relatively hot summers, mild winters and abundant rainfall, Cfb in the Köppen climate classification.
The commune of Guéret has a population, in 2013, of 13,143; its population density is of 501 inhabitants/km2.
The inhabitants of Guéret are known, in French, as Guérétois (women: Guérétoises).
Sites of interest
- The Hotel de Moneyroux. This building, of Gothic style, was built in the fifteenth century. It is now the headquarters of the General Council of the Creuse.
- The Presidial, dating from the seventeenth century, now is the town hall.
- The Museum of the Sénatorerie. The building served as house for senators under Napoleon. Since 1832, the Society of Archaeological and Natural Sciences of the Creuse has been housed here.
- Courtille lake, a recreation area south of Guéret, is an artificial lake along a shaded path.
- Chabrières forest is a large forest to the south of Guéret. It has a zoo, where one can see wolves in semi-liberty in large espaces with walls. Here there are some big dolmens.
Guéret is twinned with:
Images for kids
Guéret Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.