Hydrogen telluride facts for kids
|IUPAC name||hydrogen telluride|
|Other names||hydrotelluric acid
|Molar mass||129.6158 g mol−1|
|Density||3.310 g/cm3, gas
2.57 g/cm3 (-20 °C, liquid)
−49 °C (224 K) (
−2.2 °C (271.8 K)(unstable above -2 °C)
|Solubility in water||0.70 g/100 mL|
|Std enthalpy of
|Related compounds||telluric acid
|Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)|
Hydrogen telluride is a toxic reactive gas. It easily decomposes to hydrogen and tellurium. It also burns in air to make tellurium dioxide and water. It has a very bad smell of decayed garlic. It is almost as acidic as phosphoric acid. It reacts with some metals and metal oxides to make tellurides.
It is made by adding a strong acid to a telluride, such as sodium telluride.
Hydrogen telluride does not have many uses because it is very toxic and unstable.
- Aluminium telluride
- Sodium tellurite
Hydrogen telluride Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.