Marilyn Monroe facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Marilyn Monroe in 1952
Norma Jeane Mortenson
June 1, 1926
|Died||August 5, 1962
|Other names||Norma Jeane Baker
Norma Jeane Dougherty
|Occupation||Actress, model, movie producer, singer|
Marilyn Monroe was an American movie actress. In 1999, Monroe was ranked as the sixth greatest female actress of all time by the American Film Institute. Her birth name was Norma Jean Mortenson and she was born on June 1st, 1926, in Los Angeles, California. She died from having too many drugs on the night of August 5, 1962, in Brentwood, California. She was married to baseball player Joe DiMaggio during 1954. She married Arthur Miller (a playwright) on July 1st, 1956. They divorced January 21th, 1961.
Marilyn Monroe became famous , starring in a number of hit movies during the 1950s and early 1960s. She also became famous for modeling for photographers and singing in her musical movies. One time, she sang "Happy Birthday" to the President of the United States John F. Kennedy. It turned out to be one of her last appearances.
The 16-year-old Norma Jeane married James Dougherty on 19th June 1942. After the wedding, he joined the navy. At this time, Norma met an army photographer, David Conover. She began a career as a model. She changed her name to Marilyn Monroe. She and Dougherty divorced on 13 September 1946.
Monroe married the baseball star Joe DiMaggio on 14th January 1954. The marriage lasted for nine months. She had met DiMaggio on a blind date, during the filming of the movie Monkey Business in 1952. The marriage was closely followed by the public. DiMaggio retired from baseball, and Marilyn became very famous. DiMaggio was sad that his career as a baseball star was ending, and was jealous of Marilyn for being admired. He spent most of his time watching television and Monroe found it boring. They separated on 31st October 1954. From 1961, they became friends again. DiMaggio said that he gave Marilyn a rose every week for 10 years.
Marilyn married Arthur Miller on 29th June 1956. She converted to Judaism. She had met him during the filming of As Young As You Feel in 1951. She was so happy with him and they tried to have children together. Mariyln had three miscarriages, because of her endometriosis. Miller wrote the screenplay for the movie The Misfits. The filming caused many problems between Marilyn and Arthur and they separated on 20 January 1961.
|1947||Dangerous Years||Evie||Arthur Pierson|
|1948||Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!||Betty (uncredited)||Hugh Herbert|
|1948||Ladies of the Chorus||Peggy Martin||Phil Karlson|
|1949||Love Happy||Grunion's Client (uncredited)||David Miller|
|1950||A Ticket to Tomahawk||Clara (uncredited)||Richard Sale|
|1950||Right Cross||Dusky Ledoux (uncredited)||John Sturges|
|1950||The Fireball||Polly||Tay Garnett|
|1950||The Asphalt Jungle||Angela Phinlay||John Huston|
|1950||All About Eve||Miss Claudia Caswell||Joseph L. Mankiewicz|
|1951||Love Nest||Roberta Stevens||Joseph M. Newman|
|1951||Let's Make It Legal||Joyce Mannering||Richard Sale|
|1951||Home Town Story||Iris Martin||Arthur Pierson|
|1951||As Young as You Feel||Harriet||Harman Jones|
|1952||O. Henry's Full House||Streetwalker||Henry Koster|
|1952||Monkey Business||Lois Laurel||Howard Hawks|
|1952||Clash by Night||Peggy||Fritz Lang|
|1952||We're Not Married!||Anabel Norris||Edmund Goulding|
|1952||Don't Bother to Knock||Nell Forbes||Roy Baker|
|1953||Niagara||Rose Loomis||Henry Hathaway|
|1953||Gentlemen Prefer Blondes||Lorelei Lee||Howard Hawks|
|1953||How to Marry a Millionaire||Pola Debevoise||Jean Negulesco|
|1954||River of No Return||Kay Weston||Otto Preminger|
|1954||There's No Business Like Show Business||Vicky||Walter Lang|
|1955||The Seven Year Itch||The Girl||Billy Wilder|
|1956||Bus Stop||Chérie||Joshua Logan|
|1957||The Prince and the Showgirl||Elsie Marina||Laurence Olivier|
|1959||Some Like It Hot||Sugar Kane Kowalczyk||Billy Wilder|
|1960||Let's Make Love||Amanda Dell||George Cukor|
|1961||The Misfits||Roslyn Taber||John Huston|
|1962||Something's Got to Give (unfinished)||Ellen Wagstaff Arden||George Cukor|
Awards and nominations
- 1951 Henrietta Awards: The Best Young Box Office Personality
- 1952 Photoplay Award: Fastest Rising Star of 1952
- 1952 Photoplay Award: Special Award
- 1952 Look American Magazine Achievement Award: Most Promising Female Newcomer of 1952
- 1953 Golden Globe Henrietta Award: World Film Favorite Female.
- 1953 Photoplay Award: Most Popular Female Star
- 1954 Photoplay Award for Best Actress: for Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and How to Marry a Millionaire
- 1956 BAFTA Film Award nomination: Best Foreign Actress for The Seven Year Itch
- 1956 Golden Globe nomination: Best Motion Picture Actress in Comedy or Musical for Bus Stop
- 1958 BAFTA Film Award nomination: Best Foreign Actress for The Prince and the Showgirl
- 1958 David di Donatello Award (Italian): Best Foreign Actress for The Prince and the Showgirl
- 1959 Crystal Star Award (French): Best Foreign Actress for The Prince and the Showgirl
- 1960 Golden Globe, Best Motion Picture Actress in Comedy or Musical for Some Like It Hot
- 1962 Golden Globe, World Film Favorite: Female
- Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame 6104 Hollywood Blvd.
- 1999 she was ranked as the sixth greatest female star of all time by the American Film Institute in their list AFI's 100 Years... 100 Stars.
|Awards and achievements|
for Auntie Mame
|Golden Globe Award for Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
for Some Like It Hot
for The Apartment
Images for kids
Marilyn Monroe Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.