Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsShire of Ngaanyatjarraku
Location in Western Australia
|Population||1,606 (2016 census)|
|• Density||0.0099917/km2 (0.025878/sq mi)|
|Area||160,732.9 km2 (62,059.3 sq mi)|
|Shire President||Damian McLean|
|State electorate(s)||Kalgoorlie, Pilbara|
|Website||Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku|
It was formed on 1 July 1993 following a report of the Local Government Boundaries Commission in 1992. The Shire of Wiluna was divided with the eastern area becoming the new Shire.
It is a community of interest within the traditional lands of the Ngaanyatjarra people of the Central Desert of Western Australia. The 99-year leases held by the Ngaanyatjarra Land Council on behalf of the traditional owners also form the boundaries of the Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku.
The Shire has 560 km (350 mi) of gravel road and is far from bitumen roads.
The Federal Court of Australia on 29 June 2005 consented to the Native Title claim over approximately 187,700 km2 (72,500 sq mi) (about the size of Syria) of land in the Central Desert Region in the Shires of Laverton and Ngaanyatjarraku.
Ngaanyatjarra is the first language of most residents (65%, see below) with the other language significantly represented being Pitjantjatjara.
Like other indigenous Australian communities in the Outback, the Ngaanyatjarraku community has a greater proportion of younger people than the overall Australian population and a lesser proportion of older people, reflected by the median age of 28 years of age compared with 37 Australia-wide.
Some other statistics:
- 98.0% are Australian citizens(compared with 86.1% nationwide)
- 65.1% speak Ngaanyatjarra at home (cf 0.0006% nw) - 880 of the 1000 speakers of this language live in this LGA
- 16.4% speak English only at home (cf 76.8% nw)
- 31.1% affiliate with the Churches of Christ (0.2% nw)
- median weekly income is $2,031 per week (cf $2,081/wk nw)
- median family income is $671 per week (cf $2,310/wk nw)
- 26.0% single-parent families (cf 24.3% nw)
- 3.4 persons in average household size
- 91.4% renting (cf 29.6% nw)
- Blackstone (168)
- Giles (6)
- Jameson (97)
- Patjarr (65)
- Tjirrkarli (83)
- Tjukurla (107)
- Wanarn (70)
- Warburton (550)
- Warakurna (241)
- Wingellina (154)
Ngaanyatjarra Council (Aboriginal Corporation)
The associated Ngaanyatjarra Council operates
- Air services (contracted to Missionary Aviation Fellowship (MAF))
- Tertiary education (Ngaanyatjarra Community College, Warburton)
- Land Management
- Native Title Representative Body
- Ngaanyatjarra Agencies and Transport Services Inc (NATS)
- Ngaanyatjarra Services (Aboriginal Corporation)
- Service Stations
Images for kids
Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.