|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||910s 920s 930s – 940s – 950s 960s 970s|
|Years:||940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture
Establishments – Disestablishments
Below are some of the important events that happened from 940 to 949.
- Saadia Gaon makes his siddur (Jewish prayer book) in Iraq.
- Narita-san Temple is founded in Chiba, Japan.
- The Liao Dynasty stops the rule that a younger sister replace an older sister who died in marriage.
- Abu'l-Wafa, Iranian mathematician
- Brian Boru, high king of Ireland
- July 20 – Ibn Muqla, Abbasid vizier and calligrapher
- December 25 – Makan ibn Kaki, Dailamite warlord
- Taira no Masakado, leader of the Taira Clan
- Charles d'Outremer, son of Louis IV of France
- Brian Bórumha mac Cennétig, High-King of Ireland
- April 21 – Bajkam, commander of commanders of the Abbasid Caliphate
- The Chavda Kingdom is overthrown in Gujarat, India.
- October 30 – Pope Marinus II succeeds Pope Stephen VIII as the 128th pope.
- King Idwal Foel of Gwynedd
- December 17 – William I of Normandy
- Gaozu of Later Jin, founder of the Later Jin Dynasty in China
- Liu Yan of the Southern Han Kingdom
- King Constantin II of Scotland retires and becomes a monk. His cousin Malcolm I of Scotland becomes king.
- Dayang Jingxuan, a Zen Buddhist monk
- Wang Kon, founder of the Koryo dynasty
- Emperor Liezu of Southern Tang
- The city of Algiers is (re)founded by the Zirid king Buluggin ibn Ziri.
- Abu Yazid starts a rebellion against the Fatimids in the Aures Mountains.
- The Al-Askari Mosque is built in Samarra.
- King Edmund I of England takes Northumbria from the Vikings.
- Emperor Romanos I Lekapenos is deposed as Byzantine emperor. It was by his own sons, Stephen Lekapenos and Constantine Lekapenos.
- Otto, Duke of Burgundy
- Minamoto no Yorimitsu
- Fujiwara no Sukemasa
- Fujiwara no Akimitsu
- Flaithbertach mac Inmainén, abbot of Inis Cathaig, Ireland
- Wilgred of Lindisfarne, Bishop of Lindisfarne
- Abu Mansur Al Maturidi, Muslim theologian
- Ngo Quyen, Vietnamese prefect and general
- Wichmann the Elder, Saxon nobleman
- Donnchad Donn, King of Ireland
- The Buyid dynasty takes control of Baghdad.
- The Min Kingdom is taken over by the Southern Tang Kingdom.
- Edmund I of England conquers Strathclyde. He makes an alliance with Malcolm I of Scotland and gives Cumberland and Westmorland to him.
- Lothair II of Italy takes control of Italy.
- Romanos I Lekapenos is overthrown. Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII rules alone.
- Abbo of Fleury, French monk
- Igor of Kiev
- King Krešimir I of Croatia
- Eadred I becomes king of England.
- Emperor Murakami becomes Emperor of Japan.
- May 10 – Pope Agapitus II succeeds Pope Marinus II as the 129th pope.
- The Later Jin Dynasty falls to the Later Han Dynasty in China.
- Adelaide of Anjou, daughter of Fulk II of Anjou and Gerberg
- May 18 – Emperor Taizong of the Liao Dynasty
- Topiltzin Ce Acatl Quetzalcoatl, Toltec ruler
- Wulfgar of Lichfield, Bishop of Lichfield
- Sexhelm of Lindisfarne, Bishop of Lindisfarne
- Shi Chonggui, last Emperor of China from the Later Jin Dynasty
- Uchtred of Lindisfarne, Bishop of Lindisfarne
- Zoltán of Hungary, Grand Prince of the Magyars
- The Nri Kingdom is started by Eri. The kingdom was in what is now Nigeria.
- The Nallur Kandaswamy temple is built.
- Gang Gam-chan, Korean government official and military commander
- Emperor Jingzong of Liao
- December 16 – Romanos I Lekapenos, Byzantine Emperor
- Gao Conghui
- Gaozu of Later Han
- The Byzantine Empire starts another expedition against the Emirate of Crete.
940s Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.