Donald Sutherland facts for kids
Sutherland in June 2013
Donald McNichol Sutherland
July 17, 1935
|Years active||1962 – present|
Lois Hardwick (m. 1959–1966),
Shirley Douglas (m. 1966–1970),
Francine Racette (m. 1972)
Sutherland is known for his roles in Fellini's Casanova, Klute, Don't Look Now, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, JFK, Ordinary People, Pride & Prejudice, and The Hunger Games. He is the father of actor Kiefer Sutherland.
Sutherland was born in Saint John, New Brunswick. His ancestry includes Scottish, as well as German and English. When Sutherland was a child, he had rheumatic fever, hepatitis and poliomyelitis. He studied at Victoria College and at University of Toronto. He studied acting London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Sutherland started off working as a radio DJ at the age of 14.
Sutherland's acting career began in 1962 with a small role in the television series The Avengers. He then starred in some major roles in movies such as Dr. Terror's House of Horrors with Christopher Lee. He had a recurring role in the 1970 television series M*A*S*H.
In 2018, Sutherland played J. Paul Getty in the television series Trust.
Sutherland was married to Lois Hardwick from 1959 until they divorced in 1966. Then he was married to Shirley Douglas from 1966 until they divorced in 1970. Since 1972, Sutherland has been married to his current wife Francine Racette. He has five children, three of whom are actors.
Sutherland became a blogger for the American news website The Huffington Post during the 2008 United States presidential election campaign. In his blogs, he openly stated his support for Barack Obama.
During the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver he narrated the events. He was also one of the Olympic flag bearers.
- Castle of the Living Dead (1964)
- Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
- The Dirty Dozen (1967)
- Interlude (1968)
- Start the Revolution Without Me (1970)
- M*A*S*H (1970)
- Klute (1971)
- Lady Ice (1973)
- S*P*Y*S (1974)
- The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)
- National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)
- The Great Train Robbery (1979)
- Bear Island (1979)
- Scream of Stone (1991)
- Long Road Home (1991)
- JFK (1991)
- Eminent Domain (1991)
- Backdraft (1991)
- Quicksand: No Escape (1992)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)
- Benefit of the Doubt (1993)
- The Puppet Masters (1994)
- Punch (1994)
- Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All (1994)
- The Lifeforce Experiment (1994)
- Disclosure (1994)
- Behind the Mask (1999)
- Virus (1999)
- Instinct (1999)
- The Hunley (1999)
- Toscano (1999)
- The Setting Sun (1999)
- Panic (2000)
- Space Cowboys (2000)
- The Art of War (2000)
- Threads of Hope (voice) (2000)
- Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (voice) (2001)
- Uprising (TV) (2001)
- Frankenstein (TV) (2004)
- Aurora Borealis (2004)
- The Hunger Games (2012)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
- Jappeloup (2013)
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 (2014)
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 (2015)
- Trust (2018)
- 1978: Officer of the Order of Canada (OC)
- 1983: 4th Genie Awards, winner, Best Actor, Threshold
- 1995: Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Actor in a Supporting Role in a Miniseries or a Movie, Citizen X
- 1995: Golden Globe Award, winner, Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film, Citizen X
- 1998: Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actor – Drama, Without Limits
- 2000: Canada's Walk of Fame
- 2002: Golden Globe Award, winner, Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film, Path to War
- 2005: Honorary Doctor of Arts (Hon DArt) from Middlebury College (Middlebury, Vermont, US)
- 2011: Hollywood Walk Of Fame.
- 2012: Commandeur of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres
Images for kids
The 1973 thriller Don't Look Now was shot in Venice. Both Sutherland and co-star Julie Christie were praised for their performances.
Donald Sutherland Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.