Michael Phelps facts for kids
Phelps at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Nickname(s)||"The Baltimore Bullet"
|Born||June 30, 1985
Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Strokes||Butterfly, individual medley, freestyle, backstroke|
|Club||North Baltimore Aquatic Club|
Michael Fred Phelps II (born June 30, 1985) is an American swimmer who holds world records in several events. Phelps won eight medals at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. Six of those were gold. These medals made him tie the record for medals at a single Olympics. Alexander Dityatin has held this record since 1980. In 2008, Phelps won eight swimming gold medals at the Summer Olympics in Beijing. This broke Mark Spitz's record for most gold medals in a single Olympics. Spitz had won seven gold medals at the 1972 Summer Olympics. At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Phelps won another four gold and two silver medals. At the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Phelps won five gold medals and one silver. In total he has won 28 Olympic medals, a record. 23 of these are gold medals, over two times as many as the former record. Phelps is also known as the most decorated olympian in any sport. Currently, Michael Phelps has retired. He will not be back for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games
Phelps qualified to compete in three team events and five individual events. He won gold medals in all eight events (WR = world record, OR = Olympic record):
Guinness World Records
Phelps holds 26 Guinness World Records which predominantly consist of accumulative Guinness World Records ("Guinness mosts", records formulated starting with "most") for total number of accomplishments and victories in swimming such as: most medals, consecutive number of medals, most medals within one tournament, most records in swimming etc. It is the highest number of accumulative Guinness World Records held by an athlete.
- Most world records set for swimming (male)
- World Championships, Swimming - Most gold medals
- Most individual swimming Olympic gold medals
- Fastest swim long course 100 metres butterfly (male)
- Most medals won at the FINA Swimming World Championships
- Most Olympic gold medals in team swimming
- Most medals won at the Olympics for swimming (male)
- Most Men’s World Swimmer of the Year Awards
- Most Olympic golds at one Games (male)
- Most searched for sportsman on the internet (current)
- Most gold medals won at the Olympics for an individual event (male)
- Fastest swim long course 200 metres butterfly (male)
- Most FINA world records held by an individual (current)
- Most Olympic medals won, Men
- Most consecutive Olympic swimming gold medals in the same event (male)
- Fastest swim long course 400 metres medley (male)
- Most gold medals won at the Olympics (male)
- Most individual Olympic medals (male)
- Most swimming Olympic medals won, men (single games)
- Most Olympic medals won (single games), men
- Most gold medals won at a single FINA World Championships (individual)
- Most silver medals awarded in a single Olympic swimming race
- Fastest swim short course relay 4 x 100 metres freestyle (male)
- Fastest swim long course relay 4 x 200 metres freestyle (male)
- Fastest swim long course relay 4 x 100 metres freestyle (male)
- Fastest swim long course relay 4 x 100 metres medley (male)
Images for kids
Michael Phelps Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.