Xbox 360 facts for kids
Left: Xbox 360 Elite, Right: Xbox 360 S and new-style controller
|Manufacturer||Flextronics, Wistron, Celestica, Foxconn|
|Type||Video game console|
|Discontinued||April 20, 2016|
|Units sold||Worldwide: 84 million (as of June 9, 2014[update])(details)|
|Media||DVD, Compact Disc, Download
Add-on: HD DVD (discontinued)
|CPU||3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon|
|Memory||512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz|
|Storage||20 or 120 GB cakera hard, 64, 256 or 512 MB KAD memory|
|Graphics||500 MHz ATI Xenos|
2.4 GHz wireless, 3 × USB 2.0, IR receiver, 100 Mbit Ethernet
Add-on: Wifi 802.11 a/b/g, Wifi 802.11a/b/g/n
Revised "S" models
2.4 GHz wireless, 5 × USB 2.0, IR receiver, 100 Mbit Ethernet, Wifi 802.11b/g/n, AUX port
|Online services||Xbox Live|
|Best-selling game||Kinect Adventures (18 million as pack-in game for Kinect)|
|478 original Xbox games (requires hard drive and the latest update)|
The Xbox 360 is the second video game console released by Microsoft, after 2001's Xbox. It was released on November 16, 2005, 1462 days after the original Xbox. The Xbox 360 competes against the Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation 3. All three are called next-generation or seventh generation consoles. The Xbox 360 was officially revealed on MTV on May 12, 2005. The successor to the Xbox 360, the Xbox One, was announced on May 21, 2013. Even though the Xbox One was released on November 22, 2013, the Xbox 360 continued to be sold until April 20, 2016.
Before Microsoft revealed the console's real name, it was called the Xbox 2, Xenon, Xbox Next, NextBox, and other names. During the development, Microsoft, said it would launch the High-Definition era for video game consoles, promising visuals looks that would look better and much more real. The Xbox 360 uses standard DVD's to play games and other media.
The Xbox 360 was released in the United States and Canada on November 22, 2005 in Europe on December 2, 2005, and in Japan on December 10, 2005. It was later launched in Malaysia, Mexico, Colombia, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, India, Brazil, Poland, Czech Republic, and Russia. When the console was first released in North America, demand was more than the supplies and the console sold out at many stores. Many people sold the console on eBay for higher prices, and it was not until early 2006 that the Xbox 360 became more available in stores again.
- Xbox 360 Core – this was the first basic package of the Xbox 360, featuring only the console and a wired controller. This has been discontinued and replaced by the Arcade as the cheapest model.
- Xbox 360 Arcade – this was the second basic package of the Xbox 360, featuring only the console with HDMI output capabilities, a wireless controller, a 256 MB memory card, 5 Xbox Live Arcade games and Standard-definition video cables.
- Xbox 360 (commonly called the Premium or Pro) – this package was featuring the console (with HDMI output), 60 GB hard drive, wireless controller, Ethernet cable, headset, High-definition video cables and one month Xbox Live Gold trial.
- Xbox 360 Elite – this was the most expensive package of the Xbox 360, featuring a black-colored console (with HDMI output), HDMI cable, 120 GB hard drive, headset, wireless controller, Ethernet cable, High-definition video cables and one month Xbox Live trial.
- Xbox 360 Slim - Piano Black (Matte Black on the 4 GB console), HDMI, 250 or 120 GB HDD and 4 GB SSD, headset (120/250 GB consoles only), wireless controller, ethernet cable, HD video cable, one month Xbox Live trial.
- Xbox 360 E - Half gloss, half matte finish, HDMI, one month Xbox Live membership trial, comes in 4GB and 250 GB models
A number of accessories can be purchased for the Xbox 360. These include both wired and wireless controllers, custom faceplates that cover the front of the console, headsets for chatting while online,a webcam, a steering wheel for driving games and various other accessories.
Kinect is a major accessory that Microsoft is planning for the Xbox 360. It is a new way to control games without a controller. Kinect is being developed, and may be in stores in late 2010. It has already won many awards. When it was first being made, it was called Project Natal.
The Xbox 360 is a multimedia console. It can play music and videos streamed or downloaded from a computer. It can also play DVDs and HD-DVDs if a HD-DVD Drive is connected. The Xbox 360 plays games on either a disc or on its hard drive. There are many games for Xbox 360.
The NXE (New Xbox Experience) update had many new features. One new feature is an avatar system. You can make the avatar look like you. The avatar is used in games and more. The menus were changed too. The NXE shows your friends and what they are doing. Another new feature is the ability to add people to an Xbox Live Party. People can talk online in a party. It does not matter if you are on the dashboard or playing another game, up to seven of your friends or anyone else can join a party. Another option is to add friends to the party and game, which will invite them to both your game and party.
The most recent update on the 360 was allowing users to input a USB memory device, allowing USB drives with memory over 1 GB to be used for storing data such as avatar items, or game saves, up to a maximum of 16 GB of data.
Red Ring of Death
The white Arcade console breaks down a lot. When this happens, what is known as the Red Ring of Death (RRoD) appears: three of the four warning lights surrounding the power button on the console flash in red. The Red Ring of Death shows that there is a hardware problem, which usually means that the console no longer works. On later models for example, the Xbox 360 S, these three lights show that there is an over-heating problem.
Images for kids
A Kinect sensor device. The Xbox 360 E revision has an additional Xbox logo to the left of the Xbox 360 branding.
Xbox 360 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.