North Louisiana (French: Louisiane du Nord) (also known locally as "Sportsman's Paradise", a name sometimes attributed to the state as a whole) is a region in the U.S. state of Louisiana. The region has two metropolitan areas: Shreveport-Bossier City and Monroe-West Monroe.
The northwestern portion of Louisiana is culturally and economically attached to Northeast Texas and Southwest Arkansas. Combined they comprise the Ark-La-Tex area as the northeastern portion of Louisiana, Southeast Arkansas, and Northwest Mississippi are known as the Ark-La-Miss.
There is one Combined Statistical Area, two Metropolitan Statistical Area, and four Micropolitan Statistical Areas that include Central Louisiana parishes.
- Shreveport - Bossier City metropolitan area (Caddo, Bossier and DeSoto parishes)
- Monroe Metropolitan Statistical Area (Ouachita and Union parishes)
- Minden Micropolitan Statistical Area (Webster Parish)
- Tallulah Micropolitan Statistical Area (Madison Parish)
- Ruston Micropolitan Statistical Area (Lincoln and Jackson parishes)
- Bastrop Micropolitan Statistical Area (Morehouse Parish)
- Monroe-Bastrop combined statistical area (Ouachita, Morehouse and Union parishes)
North Louisiana Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.