Pine Mountain Club, California facts for kids
|Pine Mountain Club|
|Private community and CDP|
Location in Southwest Kern County and the state of California
|• Total||16.860 sq mi (43.666 km2)|
|• Land||16.853 sq mi (43.649 km2)|
|• Water||0.007 sq mi (0.017 km2) 0.04%|
|Elevation||5,554 ft (1,693 m)|
|• Density||94.1/sq mi (36.4/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1853405|
It is one of the Mountain Communities of the Tejon Pass
Pine Mountain Club has an area of 16.7 square miles (43.7 km2). It ranges from 4,901 feet (1,494 m) to 6,400 feet (1,951 m) in elevation.
The community sits in a deep valley of the San Emigdio Mountains, on the San Andreas fault. It is surrounded by Los Padres National Forest, in an area where the rare and endangered California condor ranges.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Pine Mountain Club had a population of 2,315. The population density was 137.3 people per square mile (53.0/km2). The racial makeup of Pine Mountain Club was 2,079 (89.8%) White, 29 (1.3%) African American, 25 (1.1%) Native American, 45 (1.9%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 58 (2.5%) from other races, and 79 (3.4%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 231 persons (10.0%).
The Census reported that 2,315 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 1,062 households, out of which 226 (21.3%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 585 (55.1%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 62 (5.8%) had a female householder with no husband present, 36 (3.4%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 49 (4.6%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 13 (1.2%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 318 households (29.9%) were made up of individuals and 111 (10.5%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18. There were 683 families (64.3% of all households); the average family size was 2.68.
The population was spread out with 411 people (17.8%) under the age of 18, 105 people (4.5%) aged 18 to 24, 355 people (15.3%) aged 25 to 44, 929 people (40.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 515 people (22.2%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 51.6 years. For every 100 females there were 102.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.2 males.
There were 2,181 housing units at an average density of 129.4 per square mile (49.9/km2), of which 880 (82.9%) were owner-occupied, and 182 (17.1%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 6.1%; the rental vacancy rate was 17.8%. 1,884 people (81.4% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 431 people (18.6%) lived in rental housing units.
The 2000 census found that almost all the 1,600 residents (91 percent) were white. There were only nine blacks. There were 146 Hispanics or Latinos of any race. Other residents included 19 American Indians or Alaska natives and 12 Asians.
It was a relatively aged population, the median age being 45 years compared with 35 years for the nation as a whole.
PMC also had more veterans than its share — 263, or 21 percent, compared to 13 percent around the country.
In contrast with the country at large, where 64 percent of the people were working, Pine Mountain Club had just 56 percent employed. Those who were working had to travel about an hour to their jobs, compared to 25 minutes for most Americans.
It was a high-income area — $62,750 median family income, compared to $50,046 in the nation at large. In per capita income, it stood at $25,465 — just between Diamond Bar and Mira Monte among other towns in California.
Yet there were still 55 families (or 15 percent) below the poverty level in Pine Mountain Club in 2000. That is greater than the 12 percent for the country as a whole.
Pine Mountain Club is unusual in that almost two-thirds of its 1,737 housing units (61.5 percent) were vacant when the census was taken in March 2000. They were, in fact, second homes, vacation retreats, or spaces held for rental to seasonal tourists — especially during the peak winter months.
Owners lived in about eight of every 10 occupied units (84 percent), renters in the other two (16 percent).
Kern Regional Transit provides bus service Thursdays and Saturdays during the summer to Frazier Park, Gorman, Lake of the Woods, Lebec, and Pinon Pines. It offers a dial-a-ride service all year. Connections can be made in Frazier Park or Lebec to a scheduled service to Grapevine and Bakersfield and further connection there to Greyhound and Amtrak.
Click the images to see larger versions of the photos.
Images for kids
Pine Mountain Club, California Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.