Conover, North Carolina facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Conover, North Carolina
"Wye Town", "Canova"
"Community and Industry"
Location of Conover, North Carolina
|• Total||10.9 sq mi (28.3 km2)|
|• Land||10.9 sq mi (28.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
|• Density||750/sq mi (289.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0983463|
Conover is a city in Catawba County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 8,165 at the 2010 census, with an estimated population of 8,236 in 2013, making Conover the fastest growing City in the Hickory Metro Area. It is part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area and Charlotte Metropolitan Area.
Conover is located in the geographic center as well as the population center of Catawba County and is bordered by the City of Hickory to the west, the City of Newton to the south, and the City of Claremont to the east. Interstate 40 traverses Conover, with access from four major exits (128, 130, 132, and 133). U.S. Route 70, U.S. Route 321, and North Carolina Highway 16 all pass through Conover, making Conover one of the most easily accessible cities in the Charlotte Metro Region.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Conover has a total area of 10.9 square miles (28.3 km2), of which 0.031 square miles (0.08 km2), or 0.27%, is water
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,165 people, 3,368 households, and 2,182 families residing in the city. The population density was 738.1 people per square mile (249.2/km²). There were 3,654 housing units at an average density of 328.5 per square mile (108.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 78.1% White, 9.2% African American, 0.2% Native American, 4.2% Asian, 5.8% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.2% of the population.
There were 3,654 households out of which 30.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.2% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.96.
The Conover Public Works Department provides Water, Street Construction, Maintenance and Repair, Storm Water Management, Solid Waste and Recycling, Water Treatment, Grounds and Parks and Fleet Maintenance services to the residents of Conover.
The Conover Fire Department provides Fire Suppression, Emergency Medical Services, Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) Mitigation, Technical Rescues, Public Education, and Fire Prevention and Inspection with 18 full-time and 40 part-time/volunteer firefighters operating out of three fire stations.
The Conover Police Department is staffed by 27 full-time officers, 1 Code Enforcement officer, 5 part-time employees, and 5 volunteer police chaplains.
Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Medical Services for the City of Conover are provided by CCEMS, the Catawba County EMS Agency.
Conover is located in the western piedmont area of North Carolina. Conover is located 43 miles (69 km) northwest of Charlotte, 63 miles (101 km) west of Winston-Salem, and 83 miles (134 km) east of Asheville.
Interstate 40 traverses the city along with other major roads including US 70, US 321 and NC 16, making it easy to access the city from any direction.
- Greenway Bus Transportation (main office located in Conover)
Parks and Recreation
Conover is home of the Rock Barn Country Club and Spa, a golf club with two Championship 18-hole courses and renowned spa that was home to the Greater Hickory Classic at Rock Barn, a PGA Champions Tour Event.
Conover has nine Neighborhood Parks and one Greenway:
- Downtown Park - 1.97 acres (0.80 ha), with gazebo, walking trails and playground equipment.
- Gateway Park - a linear park that provides a pedestrian/bicycle link into downtown.
- Hines Park - located in the ConWest Business Park, the park and its gazebo are mainly used by employees of nearby businesses.
- Hunsucker Park - located in the largest neighborhood in the city, Lecho Park, the park occupies 1.13 acres (0.46 ha) and contains playground equipment.
- Majestic Park - located in the southwest quadrant of the city, the park occupies 3.92 acres (1.59 ha) and contains recreation equipment.
- Rowe Park - The smallest of the city's parks, it contains a gazebo, picnic table, and a swing set.
- Travis Park - Located in the northwest quadrant of the city, the park contains benches, a picnic table and recreation equipment.
- Washington/Southwest Park - 2.21 acres (0.89 ha), the park includes a basketball court and baseball field, along with recreation equipment.
- Conover City Park - 6.75 acres (2.73 ha), with a picnic area, playground equipment, walking trails, splash pad and wetlands.
- Lyle Creek Greenway - A 1.5 mile long enhanced surface natural trail that follows Lyle Creek and provides great relaxation and wildlife viewing. This trail consists of both wooded areas and open fields.
NASCAR in Conover
Conover, North Carolina Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.