1816 facts for kids
|Centuries:||18th century – 19th century – 20th century|
|Decades:||1780s 1790s 1800s – 1810s – 1820s 1830s 1840s|
|Years:||1813 1814 1815 – 1816 – 1817 1818 1819|
- Known as the "Year Without A Summer" in the northern hemisphere because of global cooling caused by the Mount Tambora volcanic eruption that happened in 1815.
- February 12 – Fire almost destroyed the city of St. John's, Newfoundland.
- March 23 – Law frees serfs in Estonia
- March 25 – Friedrich Karl Ludwig, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck dies
- May 2 – Leopold of Saxe-Coburg (later known as King of the Belgians) marries Charlotte Augusta, but she dies the next year.
- June 19 – Battle of Seven Oaks between Hudson Bay and Northwest fur-trading companies, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
- July 9 – Argentina becomes free from Spain
- July 17 – The French passenger ship Medusa runs aground off the coast of Senegal, with 140 lives lost.
- August 24 – The Treaty of St. Louis is signed in St. Louis, Missouri.
- December 11 – Indiana is admitted as the 19th U.S. state.
- March 14 – William Marsh Rice, American university founder
- April 21 – Charlotte Brontë, British novelist
- April 22 – Charles Denis Bourbaki, French general
- April 25 – Eliza Daniel Stewart, American temperance movement leader
- May 24 – Emanuel Leutze, American painter
- June 19 – William Henry Webb, American industrialist and philanthropist
- July 4 – Arthur de Gobineau, French diplomat and writer
- July 23 – Charlotte Cushman, American stage actress
- July 31 – George Henry Thomas, American general
- August 4 – William Julian Albert, U.S. Congressman
- August 16 – Charles John Vaughan, English scholar
- November 17 – August Wilhelm Ambros, Austrian composer
- December 13 – Werner von Siemens, German inventor and industrialist
- January 27 – Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount Hood, British admiral
- February 6 – Maria Ludwika Rzewuska, Polish szlachcianka
- February 22 – Adam Ferguson, Scottish philosopher and historian
- March 20 – Queen Maria I of Portugal
- June 5 – Giovanni Paisiello, Italian composer
- June 12 – Pierre Augereau, Marshal of France and duc de Castiglione
- July 5 – Dorothy Jordan, Irish actress, mistress of King William IV of the United Kingdom
- July 7 – Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Irish playwright
- November 8 – Gouverneur Morris, American statesman
- December 15 – Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl Stanhope, English statesman and scientist
Images for kids
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:1816 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.