Baltix facts for kids
Baltix 3.0 screenshot (GNOME GUI)
|Company / developer||Open Source for Lithuania / Mantas Kriaučiūnas|
|Working state||In production / development|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest stable release||12.04.1 / 26 October 2012|
|License||Free software licenses
(mainly GNU GPL)
Baltix GNU/Linux is a Linux distribution aimed to be a complete, user-friendly operating system for Lithuanian and Latvian people, based on Debian and Ubuntu. Supported languages include Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Russian, English, Norwegian and others near and around the Baltic region. The main language is Lithuanian.
Baltix has software packages not present in Ubuntu:
- Educational software for kids and adults, including GCompris, TuxPaint, Atomix, etc.
- Interesting and funny games, including Pingus, Chess, PlanetPenguin Racer
- Vector graphic, CAD and diagram drawing software, including Inkscape, QCAD and Dia
- Support for most video and audio formats, including DVD, DivX, AVI, MPEG, Xvid, Theora, Ogg Vorbis, MP3
- Lightweight Desktop Environment - LXDE + PCManFM (older versions had IceWM as lightweight Window Manager)
- Possibility to run lots of software, compiled for MS Windows OS (through Wine compatibility layer)
- Clipart, CAD and office documents templates
- Lots of other packages, which are useful for Lithuanians and other Baltic people, including
- universal dictionary software OpenDict
- various spelling and hyphenation dictionaries, etc.
Baltix can run directly from its live-cd, without installation to a computer's permanent storage (hard disk, solid state drive, etc.), but also can be installed into a computer's Linux or Windows partition(s).
- Easy and right away ready for majority of Lithuanian, Latvian and Russian home/office users (no need to install additional software for multimedia support or office work, e.g. spelling dictionaries or templates)
- Possibility to run software, compiled for most popular operating systems, like Windows
- Possibility to work comfortably on older computers (starting from 64 MB RAM and 200 mHz CPU), little resources consuming desktop environment is included (currently LXDE)
- Comfortable for computer manufacturers (Baltix 0.8.x and 1.x) has a noninteractive automatic installation (autoinstall) feature - OS can be installed into computer in about 10 minutes without user intervention.
Baltix Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.