Châtellerault facts for kids
|Subprefecture and commune|
An aerial view of the centre of Châtellerault
|Canton||Châtellerault-1, 2 and 3|
|Area1||51.96 km2 (20.06 sq mi)|
|• Density||606.95/km2 (1,571.99/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02:00)|
|INSEE/Postal code||86066 /86100|
|Elevation||42–134 m (138–440 ft)
(avg. 60 m or 200 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Châtellerault is a commune in the Vienne department in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region in western France. It is a subprefecture of the Vienne department. It is also the capital of the arrondissement of the same name.
Châtellerault is in the centre of the Vienne department. The Vienne river flows through the city. Several tributaries of the Vienne river join the river in Châtellerault or near it: Clain, Ozon and Envigne.
The commune of Châtellerault is surrounded by the communes:
The inhabitants of Châtellerault are known, in French, as Châtelleraudais (women: Châtelleraudaises).
With a population of 31,722, Châtellerault has a population density of 611 inhabitants/km2.
Evolution of the population in Châtellerault
Châtellerault forms, with three other communes, the urban area of Châtellerault with a population of 40,124 inhabitants (2013) and an area of 109.2 km2 (42.2 sq mi). This urban area is the centre of the metropolitan area of Châtellerault, formed by 32 communes, with a population of 69,645 inhabitants (2013) and an area of 762.8 km2 (294.5 sq mi).
- Châtellerault-1, with 25,646 inhabitants (2014).
- Châtellerault-2, with 26,004 inhabitants (2014).
- Châtellerault-3, with 21,733 inhabitants (2014).
Twinned and partner towns
Châtellerault is twinned with:
- Velbert, Germany, since 1965
- Kaya, Burkina Faso, since 1976
- Corby, United Kingdom, since 1979
- Bouctouche, Canada, since 1984
- South Kent County, Canada
- Castellón de la Plana, Spain, since 1987
- Hamilton, United Kingdom, since 1993
- Piła, Poland, since 1994
This is a list of people of interest who were born or resided in Châtellerault :
- Clément Janequin, French musician
- Rodolphe Salis (Le Chat noir)
- Bernard Panafieu, French prelate of the Catholic church
- Christiane Martel, French actress and beauty queen
- Jean-Pierre Thiollet, French author
Châtellerault Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.