Cooroy, Queensland facts for kids
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Myall Street, Cooroy
|Population||2,301 (2006 census)|
|Location||22 km (14 mi) W of Noosa Heads|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Noosa|
|State electorate(s)||Nicklin (Cooroy Mountain and Lake MacDonald - Noosa)|
|Federal Division(s)||Wide Bay|
Cooroy is a town in Queensland, Australia, located in the northern Sunshine Coast hinterland about 22 kilometres (14 mi) west of Noosa Heads. It is within the local government area of the Shire of Noosa (between 2008 and 2013 it was within Sunshine Coast Region). It is nicknamed "Heart of the Hinterland".
The area was explored by timber-cutters as early as 1863. Cooroy railway station was opened in 1891 and in the same year a post office opened. A town survey was conducted in 1907. Cooroy's main industry developed from timber, having two operating sawmills, into dairying and fruit growing. In 1915, a butter factory opened.
The town was bisected by the Bruce Highway until a bypass was built.
Cooroy has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Lower Mill Road: Cooroy Lower Mill Site Kiln
- 14 Myall Street: Cooroy railway station
Cooroy has one hotel, a golf club, a bowls club, the RSL club and sub branch, a selection of cafes and restaurants, unique retail outlets and a range of accommodation options. Noosa Botanical Gardens is situated on Lake MacDonald just outside the town and several of the Noosa Trails are accessible in Cooroy. An RV parking area has opened adjacent to the town sewerage works.
Community service groups
- Cooroy Area Residents Association Inc.
- Cooroy Chamber of Commerce
- Cooroy-Pomona RSL Sub-Branch, (based in Cooroy)
- Cooroy-Pomona Lions Club (Mountain Lions), (Based in Pomona)
- Rotary Club of Cooroy http://www.cooroyrotary.org.au/
- New Training Ship Sheean, Australian Navy Cadets, (Established in Cooroy in 2002 and now Based in Tewantin since 2006)
- 128th Army Cadet Unit, Australian Army Cadets, (Based in Yandina)
- No. 207 Squadron, Australian Air Force Cadets, (Based in Nambour)
- Cooroy Scout Group
Cooroy railway station is serviced by two daily Queensland Rail City network services in each direction.
Cooroy, Queensland Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.