The Mandalorian facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsThe Mandalorian
|Created by||Jon Favreau|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8 (list of episodes)|
|Production location(s)||Los Angeles, California|
|Running time||31–46 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney Media Distribution|
|Original release||November 12, 2019– present|
The Mandalorian, also known as Star Wars: The Mandalorian, is an American space Western web television series created by Jon Favreau and released on Disney+. It is the first live action series in the Star Wars franchise. Set five years after the events of Return of the Jedi and 25 years prior to the events of The Force Awakens, it follows the title character Din Djarin —a Mandalorian bounty hunter—and his exploits beyond the reaches of the New Republic.
Favreau also serves as head writer and showrunner, as well as executive producer, alongside Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. The Mandalorian premiered with the launch of Disney+ on November 12, 2019, with its eight-episode first season. A second season has been ordered, which is set to premiere in October 2020. The series has received positive reviews.
After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. The series depicts a lone bounty hunter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.
Cast and characters
- Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian / Din Djarin, a lone gunfighter and bounty hunter who is sometimes referred to as "Mando" (a generic - and possibly offensive term used to refer to all Mandalorians, a clan of skilled warriors). He is a "foundling" who was rescued at a young age by Mandalorians. Pascal has described his character as being Clint Eastwood–esque with advanced combat skills and of "questionable moral character".
- "The Child" (performed by various puppeteers), a member of the same unnamed species as the powerful Jedi master Yoda with similar Force abilities. The Child is a toddler at age 50. A bounty is offered for his return by "The Client". He is found and protected by the Mandalorian while being targeted by other bounty hunters.
The following actors received co-starring billing in the main end credits of the episodes they appeared in:
- Carl Weathers as Greef Karga, an ex-magistrate and leader of a bounty hunter guild who hires the Mandalorian to track a valuable asset.
- Werner Herzog as "The Client," an unnamed man with Stormtrooper bodyguards who arranges for the Mandalorian to track a valuable asset.
- Omid Abtahi as Dr. Pershing, a scientist working for "the Client".
- Nick Nolte as the voice of Kuiil, an Ugnaught moisture farmer who bought his freedom after being enslaved by the Empire. Misty Rosas provided the motion capture performance of Kuiil.
- Taika Waititi as the voice of IG-11, a bounty hunting droid who processes conversations in a precise and literal manner. After attempting to kill "the Child" as its bounty, and being stopped by Djarin, IG-11 is re-programmed by Kuiil to protect the toddler.
- Gina Carano as Carasynthia "Cara" Dune, a former rebel shock trooper-turned-mercenary from Alderaan who fought in the civil war for the Rebel Alliance.
- Amy Sedaris as Peli Motto, a cantankerous docking bay attendant and ship mechanic on Tatooine.
- Jake Cannavale as Toro Calican, a fledgling bounty hunter looking to join the bounty hunter's guild by capturing Fennec Shand. He hires the Mandalorian to help.
- Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand, an assassin who crosses paths with the Mandalorian.
- Mark Boone Junior as Ranzar "Ran" Malk, an aging mercenary and leader of a motley crew looking to free a prisoner on a New Republic ship. Malk is a former associate of the Mandalorian from before he joined the guild.
- Bill Burr as Mayfeld, a former Imperial sharpshooter and the point man on Malk's crew.
- Natalia Tena as Xi'an, a Twi'lek member of Malk's crew and knife master, who claims to be Djarin's former love interest.
- Clancy Brown as Burg, a large Devaronian member of Malk's crew who serves as the muscle of the team.
- Richard Ayoade as the voice of Q9-0, aka "Zero", a droid member of Malk's crew.
- Ismael Cruz Córdova as Qin, a Twi'lek and Xi'an's brother. He has a combative past with the Mandalorian.
- Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon, a former officer of the Imperial Security Bureau, the Empire's secret police, whose life changed after the Rebels destroyed the second Death Star.
- Emily Swallow as "The Armorer", a Mandalorian woman who forges armor and equipment from Beskar steel, and enforces tradition among the surviving Mandalorians.
The Mandalorian Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.