1755 facts for kids
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1720s 1730s 1740s – 1750s – 1760s 1770s 1780s|
|Years:||1752 1753 1754 – 1755 – 1756 1757 1758|
- January 25 – Moscow University established.
- February 20 – General Braddock lands in Virginia to take command of the English forces against the French in North America
- April 15 – A Dictionary of the English Language is published by Samuel Johnson; he had begun the work in 1746
- July 9 – French and Indian War: Braddock Expedition – British troops and colonial militiamen are ambushed and suffer a devastating defeat inflicted by French and Indian forces. During the battle, British General Edward Braddock is mortally wounded. Colonel George Washington survives.
- November 1 – 1755 Lisbon earthquake: In Portugal, Lisbon is destroyed by a massive earthquake and tsunami, killing 60,000 – 90,000 people.
- November 18 – An earthquake occurs near Cape Ann, Massachusetts, causing extensive damage.
- December 2 – The second Eddystone Lighthouse is destroyed by fire.
- Great Expulsion of the Acadians.
- The sultanate of Mataram on Java is divided in two, creating the sultanates of Yogyakarta and Surakarta.
- The Acadians were forced to leave their home because of the treaty of uresty between the French and the British
- Wolsey the clothes manufacturer was established in Leicester; the business celebrated its 250th anniversary in 2005.
- for more information, see Category:1755 births.
- for more information, see Category:1755 deaths.
Images for kids
August 10: Expulsion of the Acadians begins
nv:1751 – 1800
1755 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.