1774 facts for kids
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1740s 1750s 1760s – 1770s – 1780s 1790s 1800s|
|Years:||1771 1772 1773 – 1774 – 1775 1776 1777|
- January 21 – Mustafa III, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire dies and is succeeded by his brother Abd-ul-Hamid I.
- May 10 – Louis XVI becomes King of France.
- June 2 – Intolerable Acts: The Quartering Act, requiring American colonists to let British soldiers into their homes, is reenacted.
- June 11 – Jews in Algier escape the attack of the Spanish army.
- July 21 – Russo-Turkish War, 1768-1774: Russia and the Ottoman Empire sign the Treaty of Kuchuk-Kainarji ending six years of war. The treaty does give Russia the right to intervene in Ottoman politics to protect its Christian subjects.
- September 5 – First Continental Congress assembles in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- The British pass the Quebec Act setting out rules of governance for the colony of Quebec in British North America.
- The Sardinian pika becomes extinct.
Images for kids
December 9: Start of the two month long Siege of Melilla
Chesma Column in Tsarskoe Selo, commemorating the end of the Russo-Turkish War.
Sultan Mustafa III
King Louis XV of France
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:1774 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.