Friends facts for kids
|Created by||David Crane
|Theme music composer||Michael Skloff
|Opening theme||"I'll Be There for You"
by The Rembrandts
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||10|
|No. of episodes||236 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||David Crane
Kevin S. Bright
Michael Borkow (season 4)
Michael Curtis (season 5)
Adam Chase (season 5–6)
Greg Malins (season 5–7)
Wil Calhoun (season 7)
Scott Silveri (season 8–10)
Shana Goldberg-Meehan (season 8–10)
Andrew Reich (season 8–10)
Ted Cohen (season 8–10)
|Production location(s)||Warner Bros. Studios
|Camera setup||Film; multi-camera|
|Running time||20–22 minutes (per episode)
22–65 minutes (extended DVD episodes)
|Production company(s)||Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions
Warner Bros. Television
Warner Bros. Television Distribution (worldwide)
|Picture format||480i (PsF 4:3 SDTV)
1080i (PsF 16:9 HDTV)
|Original release||September 22, 1994– May 13, 2004|
|Followed by||Joey (2004–2006)|
Friends is an American comedy television series. It was on television from September 22, 1994 to May 8, 2004. It is about 6 friends who lived in Manhattan, New York City. They were in their 20s and 30s. The names of the "friends" were: Monica, Chandler, Rachel, Ross, Phoebe and Joey.
Friends got positive reviews through most of its run. It is one of the most popular sitcoms of all time. The series won many awards and was nominated for 63 Primetime Emmy Awards. TV Guide ranked it #21 on their list of the 50 greatest TV shows of all time.
The series was produced by Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions, in association with Warner Bros. Television. At first, the executive producers were Crane, Kauffman and Kevin Bright. Other producers were brought in during later seasons. In all, there were 236 episodes. There is a sequel to this show named Joey.
- Monica Elizabeth Geller (Courteney Cox) - She used to be fat, is a control freak, and is compulsively organized. She is Ross' sister and in season 7, marries long-term boyfriend Chandler and adopts 2 babies (Jack and Erica) in the last episode of the series.
- Chandler Muriel Bing (Matthew Perry) - Early in the series, he was a self-confessed commitment-phobe, but in season 7 finale, he marries Monica, his girlfriend of three years. One of his most famed traits is his finely-tuned sense of humour.
- Joey Francis Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc) - He's the 'stupid' one, and is a struggling actor, but scored a break in season 2 in the soap opera Days Of Our Lives, and then again in season 7. He remained on Days of Our Lives until the end of the series. Post-finale he was the main character in the spin-off, Joey.
- Rachel Karen Green (Jennifer Aniston) - She first moved to New York in the first episode after running off from the altar. She is perhaps the character who has made the most development (going from spoiled, rich Daddy's girl to an independent and confident woman). She had a famous on-off relationship with Ross, which spanned the entire series. She has a daughter with Ross Geller named Emma.
- Dr. Ross Eustace Geller (David Schwimmer) - A paleontologist. He had a famous on-off relationship with Rachel, who he had a crush since he was 15. He has been married three times, once to Carol, once to Emily and once to Rachel, in a drunken Vegas wedding. He is not married at the end of the show, but has two children- Ben, to his first wife and Emma, to Rachel. He and Rachel seem to be back together at the end of the show.
Other key characters
- Janice - Portrayed by Maggie Wheeler, An on-off girlfriend of Chandler's who has a shrieking nasal voice and is most famous for her 'oh - my - god' catchphrase.
- Gunther - Portrayed by James Michael Tyler, The bleached blonde haired guy who works in 'Central Perk'. He has appeared in the majority of episodes. Gunther is madly in love with Rachel who does not find out until the very last episode.
- Treeger - Portrayed by Mike Hagerty, The superintendent for the apartment building most of the friends live in. His most active role was in the episode where Joey practiced dancing with him because he was too afraid to dance with girls.
- Mike- Portrayed by Paul Rudd, he was one of Phoebe's significant boyfriends. He and Phoebe met when Joey and Phoebe decided to set each other up with blind dates, but Joey forgot on the day of, and ended up bringing a random person who happened to have the name Mike (Joey told Phoebe that was his name before he found Mike). They decided to move in, but on moving day, broke up due to Mike not wanting to marry again after his painful divorce. They end up getting back together, and getting married. In the finale, it is revealed that they will have a baby together.
- Jack Geller - Portrayed by Elliott Gould, The father of Ross Geller and Monica Bing the grandfather of Ben and Emma Geller.
- Judy Geller- Portrayed by Christina Pickles, The mother of Ross Geller and Monica Bing, also the grandmother of Ben and Emma Geller.
Many guest stars of the show include: Hank Azaria, Cosimo Fusco, Larry Hankin, Tom Selleck, Jennifer Grey, Morgan Fairchild, Lauren Tom, Marlo Thomas, Aisha Tyler, Anna Faris, Christina Applegate, Bruce Willis, George Clooney, Greg Kinnear, Dakota Fanning, Danny DeVito, Ralph Lauren, Phil Leeds, Julia Roberts, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Brooke Shields, Ben Stiller, Jon Favreau, Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Shelley Berman, Susan Sarandon, Bob Balaban, Phill Lewis, Denise Richards, Winona Ryder, Sean Penn, Eddie Cahill, Michael Chiklis, Kathleen Turner, Malin Åkerman, Jason Alexander and Brad Pitt
Images for kids
Friends Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.