Livingston County, Missouri facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Livingston County courthouse in Chillicothe
Location within the U.S. state of Missouri
Missouri's location within the U.S.
|Founded||January 6, 1837|
|Named for||Edward Livingston|
|• Total||539 sq mi (1,400 km2)|
|• Land||532 sq mi (1,380 km2)|
|• Water||6.2 sq mi (16 km2) 1.2%|
|• Density||27.007/sq mi (10.428/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Livingston County is a county located in the northwestern portion of the U.S. state of Missouri. As of the 2020 census, the population was 14,557. Its county seat is Chillicothe. The county was organized January 6, 1837, and named for U.S. Secretary of State Edward Livingston.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 539 square miles (1,400 km2), of which 532 square miles (1,380 km2) is land and 6.2 square miles (16 km2) (1.2%) is water.
- Grundy County (north)
- Linn County (east)
- Chariton County (southeast)
- Carroll County (south)
- Caldwell County (southwest)
- Daviess County (northwest)
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the 2010 census, there were 15,195 people, 5,871 households and 3,834 families residing in the county. The population density was 28 per square mile (12/km2). There were 6,730 housing units at an average density of 12 per square mile (5/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 95.39% White, 2.42% Black or African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.38% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. Approximately 1.19% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,871 households, of which 29.59% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.29% were married couples living together, 10.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.70% were non-families. 29.94% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.43% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.90.
Age distribution was 21.91% under the age of 18, 7.74% from 18 to 24, 25.34% from 25 to 44, 26.81% from 45 to 64, and 18.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 81.02 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.47 males.
The median household income was $39,683, and the median family income was $53,325. Males had a median income of $38,282 versus $24,944 for females. The per capita income for the county was $20,295. About 15.8% of families and 20.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.4% of those under age 18 and 18.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Chillicothe (county seat)
Other unincorporated place
- Garrison Elementary School (PK)
- Dewey Elementary School (K-01)
- Field Elementary School (02-03)
- Central Elementary School (04-05)
- Chillicothe Middle School (06-08)
- Chillicothe High School (09-12)
- Livingston County R-III School District – Chula
- Livingston County Elementary School (PK-08)
- Southwest Livingston County Elementary School (PK-06)
- Southwest Livingston County High School (07-12)
- Livingston County Library
- Bower Slack Broaddus, U.S. Federal Judge
- Courtney W. Campbell, U.S. Representative from Florida (1953-1955)
- Claude B. Hutchison, botanist, professor, and Mayor of Berkeley, California (1955-1963)
- Jerry Litton, U.S. Representative from Missouri (1973-1976)
- Charles H. Mansur, U.S. Representative from Missouri (1887-1893)
- Shirley Collie Nelson, country music artist/actress
- Henry Moses Pollard, U.S. Representative from Missouri (1877-1879)
- John Quinn, Missouri State Representative (2001-2009)
- William Y. Slack, brigadier general and politician
- Clarence Edwin Watkins, publisher
- Mike Lair, Missouri State Representative (2009–Present) and former teacher