Linn County, Missouri facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
The Linn County Courthouse in Linneus
Location within the U.S. state of Missouri
Missouri's location within the U.S.
|Founded||January 1, 1837|
|Named for||Lewis F. Linn|
|• Total||621 sq mi (1,610 km2)|
|• Land||616 sq mi (1,600 km2)|
|• Water||5.8 sq mi (15 km2) 0.9%|
| • Estimate
|• Density||19.121/sq mi (7.383/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Linn County is a county located in the northern portion of the U.S. state of Missouri. As of the 2020 census, the population was 11,874. Its county seat is Linneus. The county was organized January 1, 1837 and named after U.S. Senator Lewis F. Linn of Missouri.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 621 square miles (1,610 km2), of which 616 square miles (1,600 km2) is land and 5.8 square miles (15 km2) (0.9%) is water.
- Sullivan County (north)
- Adair County (northeast)
- Macon County (east)
- Chariton County (south)
- Livingston County (west)
- Grundy County (northwest)
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,754 people, 5,697 households and 3,760 families residing in the county. The population density was 22 people per square mile (9/km2). There were 6,554 housing units at an average density of 11 per square mile (4/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 97.98% White, 0.60% Black or African American, 0.38% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.15% from other races and 0.76% from two or more races. Approximately 0.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,697 households, out of which 29.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.60% were married couples living together, 8.90% had a female householder with no husband present and 34.00% were non-families. 30.30% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the county, the population was spread out, with 25.40% under the age of 18, 7.00% from 18 to 24, 24.40% from 25 to 44, 22.60% from 45 to 64 and 20.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 89.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,242, and the median income for a family was $36,134. Males had a median income of $25,635 versus $18,820 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,378. About 11.30% of families and 14.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.20% of those under age 18 and 14.10% of those age 65 or over.
- Brookfield Elementary School (PK-04)
- Brookfield Middle School (05-08)
- Brookfield High School (09-12)
- Bucklin Elementary School (PK-06)
- Bucklin High School (07-12)
- Linn County Elementary School (PK-05)
- Linn County High School (06-12)
- Walt Disney Elementary School (K-05)
- Marceline Middle School (06-08)
- Marceline High School (09-12)
- Meadville Elementary School (K-06)
- Meadville High School (07-12)
- Brookfield Public Library
- Marceline Carnegie Library
- Doris Akers, gospel singer and composer, was born in Brookfield and resided there until age five.
- Gene Bartow, Hall of Fame college basketball coach and NBA executive.
- Jeff Roe, Republican political consultant, was born in Brookfield and lived there until joining the army at age sixteen.
- Walt Disney, animator and founder of the Disney corporation, Disneyland, and Walt Disney World lived on a farm near Marceline as a young boy.
- General John J. Pershing, four-star General of the Armies and Commander of the American Expeditionary Forces during World War I, was born in Laclede.
Linn County, Missouri Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.