Shania Twain facts for kids
|Birth name||Eilleen Regina Edwards|
|Also known as||Eilleen Twain (1967–1992)|
|Born||August 28, 1965
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
|Origin||Timmins, Ontario, Canada|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, television personality|
|Associated acts||Billy Currington, Mark McGrath, Lionel Richie, Michael Bublé, Alison Krauss|
Shania Twain OC (born Eilleen Regina Edwards; August 28, 1965 in Timmins, Ontario, Canada) is a Canadian singer-songwriter. She was married a long time to music producer Mutt Lange. She is a very successful singer/songwriter in the country and pop music genres. She is starting a musical show in Las Vegas, Nevada in late 2012.
Her 1995 album The Woman in Me brought her fame. Her 1997 album Come On Over became the best-selling album of all time by a female musician in any genre, and the best-selling country album of all time. It has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide.
Twain married music producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange on December 28, 1993. They have a son, Eja (pronounced "Asia") D'Angelo, who was born on August 12, 2001. On May 15, 2008, a spokesperson for Mercury Nashville said that Twain and Lange were separating. This was after Lange allegedly had an affair with Twain's best friend, Marie-Anne Thiébaud. Their divorce was finalized on June 9, 2010. On December 20, 2010, Twain's manager said that Twain was engaged to Swiss Frédéric Thiébaud (the ex-husband of her former best friend), an executive at Nestlé. They married on January 1, 2011 in Rincón, Puerto Rico.
In September 2010, it was confirmed that Twain was to release her first biography, From This Moment On, on May 3, 2011. The cover work for the book was released on March 2, 2011.
Awards and honours
In addition to the awards for her singles and albums, Twain has a number of personal honours:
- She was named the 1999 Entertainer of the Year by both the Academy of Country Music and the Country Music Association. Twain was the first non-US citizen to win the CMA award.
- Twain was ranked No.7 in Country Music Television's 40 Greatest Women of Country Music in 2002.
- In 2003, Twain was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame.
- The city of Timmins (in Ontario, Canada) renamed a street for her, gave her the key to the city, and built the Shania Twain Centre in her honour.
- On November 18, 2005, Twain became an Officer in the Order of Canada.
- Twain was added to the Canadian Music Hall of Fame at the Juno Awards on March 27, 2011.
- On June 2, 2011, Twain received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Her star is the 2,442nd Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the Category of Recording.
Twain has released thirty-five singles from four studio albums, one greatest hits album, and one soundtrack album.
- Shania Twain (1993)
- The Woman in Me (1995)
- Come On Over (1997)
- Up! (2002)
- Now (2017)
Images for kids
Twain announcing her upcoming Caesars Palace show in Las Vegas in 2011
Shania Twain Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.