1500 facts for kids
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1470s 1480s 1490s – 1500s – 1510s 1520s 1530s|
|Years:||1497 1498 1499 – 1500 – 1501 1502 1503|
- Europe's population was about 60 million.
- January 5 – Duke Ludovico Sforza recaptures Milan, but is soon driven out again by the French.
- January 26 – Vicente Yáñez Pinzón becomes the first European to discover Brazil.
- April 21 – Portuguese navigator Pedro Álvares Cabral officially discovers Brazil and claims the land for Portugal.
- November 11 – Treaty of Granada – Louis XII of France and Ferdinand II of Aragon agree to divide the Kingdom of Naples between them.
- Emperor Go-Kashiwabara ascends to the throne of Japan.
- Battle of Hemmingstedt: The Danish army fails to conquer the peasants' republic of Dithmarschen.
- Second Battle of Lepanto – The Turkish fleet of Kemal Re'is defeats the Venetians. The Turks proceed to capture Modon, Lepanto, and Koron.
- The Luo, a Nilotic people from modern Sudan, settle the Cwezi states, establishing the state of Buganda. (approximate date)
- Diogo Dias is the first European to see Madagascar.
1500 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.