500s BC facts for kids
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||7th century BC – 6th century BC – 5th century BC|
|Decades:||530s BC 520s BC 510s BC – 500s BC – 490s BC 480s BC 470s BC|
|Years:||509 BC 508 BC 507 BC 506 BC 505 BC 504 BC 503 BC 502 BC 501 BC 500 BC|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture
Establishments – Disestablishments
- 509 BC -the Roman Republic starts.
- 509 BC, September 13 - The temple of Jupiter on Rome's Capitoline Hill is dedicated on the ides (15th) of September.
- 508 BC - Office of pontifex maximus made in Rome
- 507 BC - Cleisthenes, Greek reformer, takes power and increases democracy
- 506 BC - Battle of Bai ju: Forces of the Kingdom of Wu under Sun Tzu defeat the forces of Chu
- 505 BC - First pair of Roman consuls elected
- 502 BC - December 4: Solar eclipse darkens Egypt. (we think this because of scientific pattern, no clear historical record of observation)
- 502 BC - The Latin League defeats the Etruscans under Lars Porsenna at Aricia.
- 502 BC - Naxos rebels against Persian domination sparking the Ionian Revolt.
- 501 BC - Cleisthenes reforms democracy in Athens.
- 501 BC - Naxos is attacked by the Persian Empire.
- 501 BC - because of threats by the Sabines, Rome makes the office of dictator.
- 501 BC - Confucius is made governor of Chung-tu.
- 501 BC - Gadir (present-day Cádiz) is captured by Carthage. (approximate date)
- 500 BC - Bantu-speaking people come into south-west Uganda from the west. (approximate date)
- 500 BC - Refugees from Teos resettle Abdera.
- 500 BC - Darius I of Persia proclaims that Aramaic be the official language of the western half of his empire
- 500 BC - the end of the Nordic Bronze Age civilization in Oscar Montelius periodization system and the start of the Pre-Roman Iron Age
- 500 BC - the first republic in Vaishali Bihar India starts.
- c. 500 BC—Yayoi period starts in Ancient Japan.
- c. 500 BC—Oldest known Zapotec writing.
- The Gutaii tribe began around this time, in Middle and Southern Africa.
- Lucretia, Roman noblewoman
- Lucius Junius Brutus, Roman consul (509 BC)
- Aruns Tarquinius, Roman prince (509 BC)
- Shen Yin Shu, general of Chu, (506 BC)
- Titus Junius Brutus, Roman noble and monarchist conspiractor
- Tiberius Junius Brutus, Roman noble and monarchist conspiractor
How the world looked
Images for kids
Monument 1, an Olmec colossal head at La Venta
An engraving on an eye stone of onyx with an inscription of Nebuchadnezzar II
Medieval image of Thales
Croesus on the pyre, Attic red-figure amphora
Tomb of Cyrus in Pasargadae
Image of Laozi
In Spanish: Años 500 a. C. para Niños para niños
500s BC Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.