Frank O. Salisbury facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Francis Owen Salisbury
Frank and Alice Salisbury on board the S.S. Olympic in New York City, 1927
|Died||August 31, 1962
|Alma mater||Royal Academy of Arts|
|Years active||ca. 1892 - 1962|
A visit to the London Drawing Academy woke up his interest for painting. He won a scholarship when he was 18 years old and so he was able to study at the Royal Academy of Arts in London from 1892 to 1897. In between he went on a scholarship to Italy where he was impressed by the fresco's of the Renaissance. This trip shaped his taste for pageant scenes.
On the Royal Academy he won several medals. He also returned there several times with expositions.
Salisbury made many murals in buildings, especially in London. He also painted many religious works and illustrations of historical events. He was well known for his portraits, especially of famous people like five British prime ministers, five American presidents and several others like Benito Mussolini when he visited Italy in 1934. His portraits were painted in a traditional style.
Paintings of Salisbury
- 1944: Portrait and Pageant: The Art of Frank O. Salisbury, memoirs
- 1953: Sarum Chase
- Barber, Benjamin Aquila (1936) The Art of Frank O. Salisbury, F. Lewis
- Christie, Manson & Woods (1985) The Studio of Frank O. Salisbury: (1874 - 1962); the Property of the British Council of Churches
- McMurray, Nigel (2003) Frank O. Salisbury: Painter Laureate, ISBN: 978-1410733269
- A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art (Oxford University Press), biography
- University of Manchester, Frank O. Salisbury Papers
- Bridgeman Art Library, overview of his work
Images for kids
Frank O. Salisbury Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.