Saga Prefecture facts for kids
|Area (rank)||2,439.58 km² (42nd)|
|- % water||1.7%|
|Population (February 1, 2008)|
|- Population||858,603 (42nd)|
|- Density||352 /km²|
|- Flower||Camphor blossom (Cinnamomum camphora)|
|- Tree||Camphor tree (Cinnamomum camphora)|
|- Bird||Black-billed magpie (Pica pica)|
Symbol of Saga Prefecture
In the Edo period this area was called the Saga Domain (佐賀藩 Saga-han).
Seven Wise Men of Saga
"The Seven Wise Men of Saga" is the name for seven men from Saga. Each of them was important to the development of modern of Japan. They began changing the country around the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate. They continued modernizing Japan during the Meiji Restoration.
- Lord Naomasa Nabeshima was lord of the Nabeshima clan. He brought in European technology and culture.
- Sano Tsunetami started the Japanese Red Cross.
- Shima Yoshitake explored Hokkaidō.
- Soejima Taneomi was a Diet member, Foreign Minister, and Minister of Domestic Affairs. He was also a well-known writer and poet.
- Ōki Takatō was Minister of Civil Affairs, Education, and Legal Affairs. He was a Diet member.
- Eto Shimpei, also once a Minister of Legal Affairs He was a Diet member and started Japan's system of courts and judges.
- Ōkuma Shigenobu was Prime Minister of Japan. He also started Waseda University.
- November 19, 1274 (Bun'ei 11, 20th day of the 10th month): Battle of Bun'ei
- August 15, 1281 (Kōan 4, 30th day of the 7th month): Battle of Kōan
- 1716 Hagakure, a famous Bushido manual is compiled
- 1874 (Meiji 7): Saga Rebellion.
- 1975 (Shōwa 50): Genkai Nuclear Power Plant begins operation
- 2011 (Heisei 23):Kyūshū Shinkansen opens
Saga is the smallest prefecture on Kyūshū. It is bordered by the Genkai Sea and the Tsushima Strait to the north and the Ariake Sea to the south. Nagasaki Prefecture is on its western border. Fukuoka Prefecture and Kumamoto Prefecture are east of Saga.
National Parks are established in about 11% of the total land area of the prefecture.
Shrines and Temples
- Provinces of Japan
- Prefectures of Japan
- List of regions of Japan
- List of islands of Japan
- Sagan Tosu
- Kyushu Ceramic Museum
Images for kids
A reconstruction of a Yayoi period building at the Yoshinogari site
Saga Prefecture Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.